The Student Room Group

Different courses?

Okay so I am 14 just starting my GCSE course. I know that I'm young and I'm not being cheesy when I say I've always wanted to be a vet but more specifically I have wanted to study at the RVC for a long time. I always look on their website and try to figure out what all the courses mean.:confused: The names have me baffled. I am assuming, please correct me if I am wrong the I would be an undergraduate and not a postgraduate in 2018/19 but what do all the different courses mean and also any tips to increasing my chances of getting accepted? Thanks. :smile:
Original post by selenerrr__x
yes you would be an undergraduate, postgraduate is if you already have a degree.
for vet med, you will definitely need to find some work experience and it is highly competitive so you'd need mainly A and A* at GCSE especially for sciences.

Thanks for replying. I'm currently exploring some work experience. I have a teacher whose wife is an RVC graduate. And my mum knows a couple of really bizarre ones that hopefully might make stand out a bit. How important is it to get involved in extra curricular clubs?
Reply 2
Original post by selenerrr__x
Semi important I would say but main thing is your work exp and studies. Because it's competitive course of you have a good soci life and clubs they'll like to see that because it shows you can balance and manage the workload as well as do other things

If you want to be a vet, you're looking at the D100 BVetMed (for undergraduates, the standard 5-year degree) or Gateway D100 (six year degree for undergraduates coming out of a non-uni family, poor financial circumstances of disadvantageous exam conditions).

Other courses include the D102 = accelerated four-year degree for graduates, and the Intercalated Year Degree = basically a kind of sabbatical in between years to do a BSc in some related aspect of science, pathology, vet med etc which is available to undergraduates.

Hope this helps! None of the other courses on their website will qualify you as a veterinary surgeon, but they provide a useful starting point for a vet postgraduate degree or for a different career in animal care.

Quick Reply

Latest