I have fallen behind in Biology and Chemistry.

Watch
Rorschach II
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I never revised at GCSE-level, therefore I found it hard to assimilate to the revision required for A-levels, hence my revision was very sporadic. I recently got it sorted out, but I have fallen behind in Biology and Chemistry. I had also taken German. I am aiming for the top grades.

1. I find Biology the hardest, simply because of the amount of stuff one must remember. The concepts come to me very quickly. I've done Bridging the Gap, Microscopy, Cell Organelles, Plasma membrane, Proteins, Carbohydrates, Lipids and Digestion and have nearly finished Enzymes and Cholera. This takes up the most time.
  2. I find Chemistry a lot easier than Biology. I have to catch up in that, but I know I can do that in-time. Some of the concepts didn't come straight away, but that was because I never reviewed the content. That is easily rectifiable.
  3. I find German the easiest, requiring barely any revision. The only thing that takes a long time to do, is essays. I remember the vocabulary quickly, and the grammar (for me) is easy.

What is the best way I can use my time? I am always doing revision, but feel like I am making little progress.

What are the best techniques to remember? For learning German vocabulary, I simply repeat stuff which is highly efficient, but I don't think it's the best method in Biology and Chemistry.

(Don't bother saying that I should get of TSR and start revising.)

tl;dr: Fallen behind in Biology, always revise but little progress, must mainly catch up on Proteins, Carbohydrates, Lipids, Digestion & Enzymes.

• Best way to use time?
  • Best revision techniques?

JessicaLucy09
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This may help with Biology
http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/biology

maybe make some cards with facts on and read through them and get someone to test you on each card.
have a question on one side and answer on the other.

Good luck x
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by XcitingStuart)
I never revised at GCSE-level, therefore I found it hard to assimilate to the revision required for A-levels, hence my revision was very sporadic. I recently got it sorted out, but I'm behind in my options. I had taken Biology, Chemistry and German and I am aiming for all A-grades.

1. I find Biology the hardest, simply because of the amount of stuff one must learn. The concepts come to me very quickly. I've done Bridging the Gap, Microscopy, Cell Organelles, Plasma membrane, Proteins, Carbohydrates, Lipids and Digestion and have nearly finished Enzymes and Cholera.
  2. I find Chemistry a lot easier than Biology. I have to catch up in that, but I know I can do that in-time. Some of the concepts didn't come straight away, but that was because I never reviewed the content. That is easily rectifiable.
  3. I find German the easiest, requiring barely any revision. The only thing that takes a long time to do, is essays. I remember the vocabulary quickly, and the grammar (for me) is easy.

What is the best way I can use my time? I am always doing revision, but feel like I am making little progress.

What are the best techniques to remember? For learning German vocabulary, I simply repeat stuff which is highly efficient, but I don't think it's the best method in Biology and Chemistry.

(Don't bother saying that I should get of TSR and start revising, because I already have etc.)
I understand that it comes hard to you for revising Bio and Chem - what revision methods do you try for those? Do you write out the info, or make revision cards?

For me, I just find digging into some past paper questions straight away really helpful as I can then see where I am going wrong and look into my exam technique - then with doing lots of past questions, I kinda get the material through that...

Let me know what kind of revision techniques for Bio and Chem you use!
Rorschach II
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
I understand that it comes hard to you for revising Bio and Chem - what revision methods do you try for those? Do you write out the info, or make revision cards?

For me, I just find digging into some past paper questions straight away really helpful as I can then see where I am going wrong and look into my exam technique - then with doing lots of past questions, I kinda get the material through that...

Let me know what kind of revision techniques for Bio and Chem you use!
I write down what I need to know then repeat out loud. I use basic diagrams when necessary etc. Making notes just seem to take so long, and I don't think trying to memorise answers by repeating is very efficient. I started learning stuff on the way to college to maximise efficiency. (Must get train for half an hour then walk for 40 minutes because I wanted to go to a certain college.)
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by XcitingStuart)
I write down what I need to know then repeat out loud. I use basic diagrams when necessary etc. Making notes just seem to take so long, and I don't think trying to memorise answers by repeating is very efficient. I started learning stuff on the way to college to maximise efficiency. (Must get train for half an hour then walk for 40 minutes because I wanted to go to a certain college.)
I don't mean learning the answers - for me, from just doing past paper questions, there are so many, just from doing those I get to remember the stuff
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (260)
33.9%
No (507)
66.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed