LSE vs Warwick vs St Andrews vs Birkbeck Watch

pau791
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone!

My name is Paula, I am 23, from Argentina and graduated last december with a BA in Management and IT.
Now I am applying to:
  • LSE - MSc Management, Information Systems and Digital Innovation (MISDI)
  • Warwick - Msc Information Systems Management and Innovation
  • St. Andrews - Msc Management & Information Technology)
  • Birkbeck - Msc Business Innovation with International Technology Management

I've been here for a while, but never dare to post.
However, now I need some advice, on how those universities rank, which one is better, prestige, etcs. I have applied to those because, from what I have read, are pretty good universities.

Fees are not a key factor, as they are all equally unaccesible, reason for which I have applied for a Chevening Award.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Regards,
JessicaLucy09
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know a friend who goes to Warwick and she says its great and has a lovely atmosphere.
x
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Warwick's MSc is established and has good industry links for employment. It works with management and manufacturing department. At least in the UK and EU, Warwick has a good reputation in this academic area and almuni network. I know two European student who did this course a few yrs ago and tyhe now work as management consultant and IT with a large bank HQ.

LSE: I spoke to a graduate and she reckoned when she was a student a few years ago, the facilities were not excellent. She also complained a bit about varying teaching standards btw TA, young lecturers and senior profs.

St. Andrews: Its management department is not very good on postgrad level and too small. The course is less established and even in Scotland, Glasgow and Strathclyde are better regarded B-Schools in terms of quality among recruiters. I am not a MIS expert, but my MIS friends have strong views. I would suggest to replace St Andrews with Bath or Cranfield MSc Management, Information Systems. Besides Warwick, these two unis have strong industry links, modern facilities, academic rigour, excellent cooperation btw top tier management and computing departments. Highly rated among corporate recruiters in certain sectors, good student satisfaction and employment stats are solid.

Good luck.
pau791
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tcannon)
Warwick's MSc is established and has good industry links for employment. It works with management and manufacturing department. At least in the UK and EU, Warwick has a good reputation in this academic area and almuni network. I know two European student who did this course a few yrs ago and tyhe now work as management consultant and IT with a large bank HQ.

LSE: I spoke to a graduate and she reckoned when she was a student a few years ago, the facilities were not excellent. She also complained a bit about varying teaching standards btw TA, young lecturers and senior profs.

St. Andrews: Its management department is not very good on postgrad level and too small. The course is less established and even in Scotland, Glasgow and Strathclyde are better regarded B-Schools in terms of quality among recruiters. I am not a MIS expert, but my MIS friends have strong views. I would suggest to replace St Andrews with Bath or Cranfield MSc Management, Information Systems. Besides Warwick, these two unis have strong industry links, modern facilities, academic rigour, excellent cooperation btw top tier management and computing departments. Highly rated among corporate recruiters in certain sectors, good student satisfaction and employment stats are solid.

Good luck.
Thank you for your help. So you would say it's Warwick>LSE>Bath>St. Andrews?

I have to mention that the St. Andrews degree in under the Computer Science department instead of the Management one.

Any comment about Birkbeck?
Tcannon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you take any courses at St And's management department or is it a pure computing course?

Warwick>LSE, Bath and Cranfield tied >>> St Andrews

I forgot that Imperial MSc Computing and management and UCL MSc MIS are also excellent. Imperial and UCL MIS courses are equal to Warwick. There is a strong technology management component.

Sorry, I am not familiar with Birkbeck Msc Business Innovation with International Technology Management. Hence I shall refrain from commenting on its MSc programme. But in London, Imperial and UCL have more reach when it comes to technology management.
l
pau791
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tcannon)
Do you take any courses at St And's management department or is it a pure computing course?

Warwick>LSE, Bath and Cranfield tied >>> St Andrews

I forgot that Imperial MSc Computing and management and UCL MSc MIS are also excellent. Imperial and UCL MIS courses are equal to Warwick. There is a strong technology management component.
l
Tcannon, I couldn't find the MScs you mention at Imperial and UCL. Would you be kind to share them with me?

Thanks again!

BTW, I just got a conditional offer from Warwick!
Tcannon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
UCL MSc Management Sciences and Innovation (taught by management department)
UCL MSc in Information Science

Imperial MSc Computational Management Science, M.Sc in Computing (Computational Management Science), MSc Innovation and Entrepreneurship (taught by B-School)

Congrats on Warwick offer, this is a quick turnaround. Does the uni offer scholarship?
pau791
Rep:
?
Thanks!
Mmm....nope, so fingers crossed I get the Chevening Award that I applied to last friday!
:feeling nervous:
Tcannon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, if you wish to reach out to current students at aforementioned courses for first hand info, you can probably contact them on FB groups.
pau791
Rep:
?
I just got a conditional from St. Andrews! So for now I'll have to decide between St. Andrews and Warwick!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (46)
9.26%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.82%
No, but I want to start (177)
35.61%
No, I am unable to (116)
23.34%
No, I chose not to (144)
28.97%