The Student Room Group

What do you think of hipsters?

I'm moving to London soon, and thinking about where to live (I've heard that some of the places I'm considering are quite "hipstery". Are hipster areas usually less safe etc. too?). The problem is, I'm the total opposite of a hipster, and I'd like to get involved in the local community/make loads of friends in the area etc. wherever I did move. I haven't known many hipsters, but the ones I have met I find it really hard to like.

Am I just being prejudiced here? Are they actually OK people?

Scroll to see replies

I hate hipsters who try to be hipsters lol
completely defeats the point
they try to make it look like they shoved anything on but they probably take a full day to plan their outfit
Reply 2
Original post by JessicaLucy09
I hate hipsters who try to be hipsters lol
completely defeats the point
they try to make it look like they shoved anything on but they probably take a full day to plan their outfit

Lol OK :tongue: I dress in a very boring way, but I don't hate them for dressing different, though I have found them incredibly hard to get on with (but that's their personalities, the ones I have met have been quite sarcastic and refuse to talk straight about things). I would hate to dress like that though...
Hipsters are like cockroaches.
Original post by Morrisseya
Lol OK :tongue: I dress in a very boring way, but I don't hate them for dressing different, though I have found them incredibly hard to get on with (but that's their personalities, the ones I have met have been quite sarcastic and refuse to talk straight about things). I would hate to dress like that though...

Yeah I find them hard to get on with too, their dress sense is terrible
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous263
Hipsters are like cockroaches.

Lol why?

Is it a bad idea moving to a very hipster area of London if I want to make friends in the area?
Lol why?

Is it a bad idea moving to a very hipster area of London if I want to make friends in the area?

Jokes aside hipsters are annoying.
and they all look/dress the same.
And they are very judgemental and opinionated.
Reply 8

:rofl: XD

I thought you were going to link to this

[video="youtube;o_5uVdy5YmA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5uVdy5YmA[/video]

Anonymous263
Jokes aside hipsters are annoying.
and they all look/dress the same. And they are very judgemental and opinionated.

I've noticed this too - they judge people for the stupidest things too, like not having heard of *random crap band* :lol:

Also, I don't judge them on the dress code but I don't see why you'd dress the same as every other hipster if you were trying to be different

[video="youtube;o_5uVdy5YmA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5uVdy5YmA[/video]

I've noticed this too - they judge people for the stupidest things too, like not having heard of *random crap band* :lol:

Also, I don't judge them on the dress code but I don't see why you'd dress the same as every other hipster if you were trying to be different

haha
:yes:
yeah i don't judge on clothing but its just ironic how they're trying to be 'different' and 'unique' and yet they all look the same :rolleyes:
I'm moving to London soon, and thinking about where to live (I've heard that some of the places I'm considering are quite "hipstery". Are hipster areas usually less safe etc. too?). The problem is, I'm the total opposite of a hipster, and I'd like to get involved in the local community/make loads of friends in the area etc. wherever I did move. I haven't known many hipsters, but the ones I have met I find it really hard to like.

Am I just being prejudiced here? Are they actually OK people?

Hipsters are not like a separate species...
Sure it's annoying when they put on this facade of being all cool and different and stuff, but everyone has their faults.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh Hipsters aren't that bad. What areas are you looking at? I know a fair few with good communities :h:

thanks for sharing the Dickhead Video... totes hilarious. i must share it with my chums at the Vintage Bicycle Shop.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Oh Hipsters aren't that bad. What areas are you looking at? I know a fair few with good communities :h:

Camden maybe? :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by the bear
thanks for sharing the Dickhead Video... totes hilarious. i must share it with my chums at the Vintage Bicycle Shop.

:rofl:
Reply 15
They seem to have changed. A while back a hipster was a person wearing an ironic t-shirt and riding a fixie bike - now they have weird facial hair and eat vegan. Don't really understand.
Camden maybe? :smile:

Thanks!

That's my home :puppyeyes:

It has hipster scene sure, but it definitely has a thriving community across the board. :h:
I don't mind hipsters, as long as they're not up their own a*se. If your looking to move into London for the hipster scene I'd say Camden or somewhere round East is your best bet. Where the "cool kids" hang.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
That's my home :puppyeyes:

It has hipster scene sure, but it definitely has a thriving community across the board. :h:

No way! Did you grow up there? :biggrin:

That's good to hear. How does one get involved? :smile:
People think it's the age of the hipster but it's not. Owning some coloured jeans and a jumper that looks a little bit odd doesn't make someone a hipster. Authentic hipsters are still a minority. The people who decided to go "alternative"/hipster in the last few years are not hipster - they're just typical trend followers.

Quick Reply

Latest