Turn on thread page Beta

Morrissey's New Song: Yay or Nay? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've heard his new song 'Irish Blood, English Heart' a few times now, and, as a massive Smiths fan, I feel this is equally as good as some of the stuff he wrote when he was percieved to be at his peak. Strong, relevant, political message put across in an easily accessable, catchy tune - classic Morrissey.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Quality tune, stupid lyrics. So I can't decide.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm not so impressed. The Smiths have had their day and so has Morrissey. There are few artist who can come back from the dead. Elton John in 2001 did so, but whether he can produce another quality studio album is another matter. On the whole, it is ok, but not his best work.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds different to his older stuff....heavier and louder...bowing to current trends???

Still a very good tune though. His set at Reading should be amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if he plays "the Smiths" tunes in his set?

ReputationRep:
    He better have flippen' play the Smith tunes. I've not heared his new single yet :confused:

I am going to see him at the Manchester Move Festival and then also propbably in Leeds as well.

I am a massive Smiths fan. I think Morrisey is more about quality than quanitity though so I am sure his new album will be very good.

ReputationRep:
    The £115 ticket price would be worth it if he plays "Charming man" and "theres a light that never goes out". Ive always always wanted to hear them live.

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping to see The Other Smiths in November. Its not the same as The Smiths but there is no way Johnny Marr will ever go on stage with Morrisey again.

This Charming man is one of them songs I play before going out, it always gets me in the perfect mood for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big P)
    The £115 ticket price would be worth it if he plays "Charming man" and "theres a light that never goes out". Ive always always wanted to hear them live.
    Seeing him in Leeds (festival). I'm pretty new to the Smiths. Embarrassed to say I borrowed the greatest hits from... my dad! Well, good taste in music must run in the family!

ReputationRep:
    The lyrics are really bad, they're quite funny.

ReputationRep:
    I can hum it easily enough, but I do feel kinda cringey with the lyrics. I think it was nice to hear from him again, but if all his stuff's gonna be like this, he should have stayed away from releasing stuff

ReputationRep:
    I'm a huge Smiths fan, but not so keen on Morisseys new song. A lot of people will probably like it, but perhaps only because it's Morissey (which in theory sound like a good idea!).

I agree with Big P, it is in keeping with songs that are around now, maybe a little too much which is why I don't really like it. On the other hand it's probably because it doesn't sound like the Smiths or his solo stuff, but he couldn't have just re-hashed that, could he? For someone as god-like as Morrisey it must be hard to come out with new material and still sound fresh.

I'd love to have Morrisey round for tea.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.