The Student Room Group

English Language A2 language investigation

Hey guys I've started my investigation on "to what extent does gender of the teacher affect relationships in a classroom." The problem is that i don't understand what to analyse my data on, as in the frameworks and should i analyse both teachers and students speech?
I'm thinking of just starting again :frown:
Please help!!
Have you found and collected any data at all? :smile:
I would record using an MP3 player some students and teachers in a number of lessons. Perhaps in different subjects. Then transcribe and type these transcripts up. Making sure you make sure are very careful when typing the data up. Set out your transcripts correctly, adding pauses etc. You will need to find out how to set out a transcript, unless you already know how to :smile: so including pauses, emphasis, overlaps, levels of intonation etc
Transcripts are a harder option but shows a lot of skill. If you are really stuck maybe look at data which is already available such as looking at language in magazines, adverts and data which is easily collectable.
Looking at language difference between students and teachers is a good option as you can talk about power as your AO2 and look at other things too.
Good luck, hope this helped! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Thank you so much for your advice :smile: But the thing is that I've now changed my idea and I'm comparing how a female host interacts with a male guest and a female guest. I will be looking at the Ellen show. But if you have any ideas on the frameworks I can focus then that would be awesome :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending