The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Schrödingers Cat
The only people who debate that an Oxbridge degree is worth more even with a lower class are people who get lower class degrees from Oxbridge because they found at they're not as clever as they think they are :lol:

Fair enough, but you do realise that Oxbridge courses are much harder and broader than the same courses at inferior institutions? A third from Oxford is worth more than a first from some places...
Original post by Asexual Demigod
If degree standards were comparable, then what would be the point in going to Cambridge over, say, Manchester Met? I might as well have slacked off at A Level and achieved ABB rather than A*A*A* and came out with a equal degree (that is easier) from an inferior institution.

I don't think anyone is arguing for Oxbridge's degrees to be made easier. Rather, the argument is that the lower universities should be subject to higher standards - perhaps even Oxbridge level.

It would be a superior system as it would mean, without a doubt, that someone with a First from Cambridge would have performed to essentially the same standard as someone with a First from Manchester Met. However, under such a system there would be a drastically reduced number of people attaining Firsts or even 2:1s at the lower end of universities. The result would either be that the lower quality institutions would raise entry requirements in the hopes of attracting students more likely to attain top grades, or they would maintain low entry requirements and their reputation would plummet. The former, though beneficial to the institutions themselves, would leave little to no places available for those without top grades at A Level.

In an ideal world, such a system would be entirely workable while still keeping a "tiered system" of universities that ensures those with a variety of A Level results can enter higher education. If grades were standardised, it would mean that someone with something like BBB at A Level would be able to prove themselves equal to Oxbridge grads if they gained an equal grade. In the current system, those who underachieved at A Level do not have any true way to match the achievements of those who went to the top universities - even if they are entirely capable of it and produce the same quality of work. Grade standardisation would level the playing field, and allow employers to see exactly how graduates of different universities compare.
Original post by Robertus
I don't think anyone is arguing for Oxbridge's degrees to be made easier. Rather, the argument is that the lower universities should be subject to higher standards - perhaps even Oxbridge level.

It would be a superior system as it would mean, without a doubt, that someone with a First from Cambridge would have performed to essentially the same standard as someone with a First from Manchester Met. However, under such a system there would be a drastically reduced number of people attaining Firsts or even 2:1s at the lower end of universities. The result would either be that the lower quality institutions would raise entry requirements in the hopes of attracting students more likely to attain top grades, or they would maintain low entry requirements and their reputation would plummet. The former, though beneficial to the institutions themselves, would leave little to no places available for those without top grades at A Level.

In an ideal world, such a system would be entirely workable while still keeping a "tiered system" of universities that ensures those with a variety of A Level results can enter higher education. If grades were standardised, it would mean that someone with something like BBB at A Level would be able to prove themselves equal to Oxbridge grads if they gained an equal grade. In the current system, those who underachieved at A Level do not have any true way to match the achievements of those who went to the top universities - even if they are entirely capable of it and produce the same quality of work. Grade standardisation would level the playing field, and allow employers to see exactly how graduates of different universities compare.

Sounds like a good system but flawed nonetheless.
Fair enough, but you do realise that Oxbridge courses are much harder and broader than the same courses at inferior institutions? A third from Oxford is worth more than a first from some places...

The problem with this argument is that it unnecessarily devalues the achievements of non-Oxbridge grads, while unnecessarily overvaluing the under achievements of Oxbridge grads.

I don't think someone who performed poorly on their degree should be given a "free pass" simply because it was from Oxbridge. Yes, the courses are more rigorous, but if someone has failed to cope with the workload then it may be an indication that they were not truly capable of studying at such an institution in the first place.
The only people who debate that an Oxbridge degree is worth more even with a lower class are people who get lower class degrees from Oxbridge because they found at they're not as clever as they think they are :lol:

Or those who are at Oxbridge and can compare the courses there to ones at other universities and see how different they are.
The problem with this argument is that it unnecessarily devalues the achievements of non-Oxbridge grads, while unnecessarily overvaluing the under achievements of Oxbridge grads.

I don't think someone who performed poorly on their degree should be given a "free pass" simply because it was from Oxbridge.

The point is, the person with a third from Oxford probably knows more and is more skilled in their subject, as it is more rigorous, than someone who does the same course at an ex-poly.

Yes, the courses are more rigorous, but if someone has failed to cope with the workload then it may be an indication that they were not truly capable of studying at such an institution in the first place.

They could be seriously mentally ill? They could have other extreme extenuating circumstances that account for underachievement?
Original post by james22
Or those who are at Oxbridge and can compare the courses there to ones at other universities and see how different they are.

Thank you.

The problem with that is, to take extreme example, comparrisons like Oxbridge maths vs London met maths. There is no way to grade the 2 degrees as the same, the difference in difficult is just too vast. I bet there are people who could work really hard and fail to get more than a handful of marks in maths at Oxbridge, but get near 100% at london met.
Reply 28
Original post by EloiseStar
For those saying all the best academics are at Oxbridge, a large proportion of my lecturers are Harvard/Oxford (primarily) graduates and I'm not Oxbridge...

Yes, but that's because Oxbridge produce significantly more academics than there are places for at top institutions. In certain areas there are only places for 5% or so of the PhD/DPhil students wanting to go into academia, so all universities end up with excellent, top academics because you pretty much just have to go to where there's a job. That doesn't necessarily imply anything about the quality of the course, or the teaching. My tutor used to run the mathematics department of an RG university before moving to Oxford and he admits his hands were severely tied in regards to teaching and setting the syllabus, by the ability of the cohort.

Except the reality is, for a subject like mathematics, someone studying it at Cambridge is doing an entirely different degree to someone studying it at Manchester Met. Having compared undergraduate mathematics exams between Oxford and other universities, you quickly realise what is classed as "first class standard" for some universities wouldn't even be classed as demonstrating 2:1 understanding at Oxford. As I point out in my first post, what you would realistically end up having if degrees were truly classified on the basis of ability is some universities never awarding a student a 2:1 because the syllabus isn't testing enough for a 2:1 classification to be justified.
Original post by Noble.
Yes, but that's because Oxbridge produce significantly more academics than there are places for at top institutions. In certain areas there are only places for 5% or so of the PhD/DPhil students wanting to go into academia, so all universities end up with excellent, top academics because you pretty much just have to go to where there's a job. That doesn't necessarily imply anything about the quality of the course, or the teaching. My tutor used to run the mathematics department of an RG university before moving to Oxford and he admits his hands were severely tied in regards to teaching and setting the syllabus, by the ability of the cohort.

Except the reality is, for a subject like mathematics, someone studying it at Cambridge is doing an entirely different degree to someone studying it at Manchester Met. Having compared undergraduate mathematics exams between Oxford and other universities, you quickly realise what is classed as "first class standard" for some universities wouldn't even be classed as demonstrating 2:1 understanding at Oxford. As I point out in my first post, what you would realistically end up having if degrees were truly classified on the basis of ability is some universities never awarding a student a 2:1 because the syllabus isn't testing enough for a 2:1 classification to be justified.

Finally some valuable input. PRSOM.
Original post by nulli tertius
Are you aware that there was a hidden sub-text to the question? The question was asked about history and the reason for that was that Brookes' history faculty had outperformed Oxford's in the Research Assessment Exercise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What research can you even do in history? You cant go back in time
The point is, the person with a third from Oxford probably knows more and is more skilled in their subject, as it is more rigorous, than someone who does the same course at an ex-poly

Oh, definitely, yes. I would agree with you in terms of the gap between Oxbridge and ex-polys. However, in those cases I still think gaining the top grade at an ex-poly warrants a greater amount of respect than gaining the lowest grade at Oxbridge. In terms of the raw knowledge of each candidate, yes, you can generally assume that the Oxbridge-educated one knows more and is more skilled, due to the quality of their teaching. However, that's not to say that the ex-poly student isn't very knowledgeable and skilled from their own work and research.

Also, I'm interested to how you might compare someone with an Oxbridge Third to someone with a 2:1 from other high-ranking RGs - somewhere like Bristol, Durham, UCL, etc?

They could be seriously mentally ill? They could have other extreme extenuating circumstances that account for underachievement?

That's true. I'm talking in terms of those who received Thirds because they legitimately couldn't achieve better, though - or those who simply didn't work hard enough.

Original post by james22
I bet there are people who could work really hard and fail to get more than a handful of marks in maths at Oxbridge, but get near 100% at london met.

Yes, but then grade standardisation would eliminate this issue by making the standards of both degrees equal; which brings me to the next point...

Original post by Noble.

I'd thoroughly agree with you there. This is the reason why I think grade standardisation is, for the most part, not feasible. Lower ranked universities simply would not accept a system that sees their grade statistics fall so dramatically. However, I still think its worth considering, simply because it would mean that on the off chance one did achieve a First or 2:1 at a poor or very poor university, it would indicate them as a massively high achiever who obviously went to an institution below their standing. In the current system, students at the lowest universities are almost awarded "faux Firsts" with no opportunity for those capable to gain higher.
Original post by mangafreak
Maybe politicians are too concerned about the invasion of UKIP to actually do anything productive and sensible for us.

We should send them back where they have bloody well come from. Who do they think they are, coming over here, stealing our politics. Rochester was a nice town, Dickens festival and all that. Now it is full of all these purple and yellow types talking in an incomprehensible language.
Original post by bertstare
What research can you even do in history? You cant go back in time

One can establish what happened in the past and why.
Original post by nulli tertius
We should send them back where they have bloody well come from. Who do they think they are, coming over here, stealing our politics. Rochester was a nice town, Dickens festival and all that. Now it is full of all these purple and yellow types talking in an incomprehensible language.

Please send this to Farage or someone :') absolutely top notch my chum, much rep for you.
(edited 9 years ago)

Please don't use the word inferior, it makes you sound extremely arrogant. Yes I know the courses are harder, I wouldn't necessarily say broader for all subjects. Yes a first from say a poly like Bolton isn't stand up to any degree at Oxbridge but a first from a good RG is better than a 2:1 from Oxbridge. Employers would agree with this, I have a source but I can't remember what article its from now :confused:
Original post by james22

Which is basically no one?
Which is basically no one?

I am an Oxford maths student. I can look at exam papers of other institutes and compare difficulty. The difference is massive in many cases.
Please don't use the word inferior, it makes you sound extremely arrogant. Yes I know the courses are harder, I wouldn't necessarily say broader for all subjects. Yes a first from say a poly like Bolton isn't stand up to any degree at Oxbridge but a first from a good RG is better than a 2:1 from Oxbridge. Employers would agree with this, I have a source but I can't remember what article its from now :confused:

Bolton was never a Poly. It was an Institute of Higher Education (at least one rung down the ladder).
These things already exist in physics and engineering.

Latest

Trending

Trending