The Student Room Group

How are you revising for your mocks? Share study tips :)

Scroll to see replies

I've been helping out a classmate with science! Going through the revision guide, asking her questions on stuff, which helps both of us! She would know where she still needs to work at + it would help me to refresh things, so I can then go into detail when I get onto revising (which I should probably do now :lol:)

Think this has better than trying to memorise a Chem unit, attempted this a few times, even though it's from a CGP revision guide, it still hasn't been very effective. :no:

Tips:
- Survey the revision guide/textbook, can refresh your memory that way + figure out what you need to work on.

- active learning, flashcards, diagrams, flow charts, teaching someone else, getting someone to test you etc.

- Past papers, try lots of exam questions! Test what you've learnt. Then mark them/get teacher to mark and make a list on which areas you still need to review :yep:
(edited 9 years ago)
Finished my mocks yesterday! Yay!
Firstly I would say revise early. I started in the summer holidays as my sister received excellent results so was determined to do the same.
Secondly, past papers are always a good option because the same types of questions come up so you know what the exam board look for in an answer etc. (I think this is the best method for me)
Thirdly, I agree flash cards are always good. There are a few apps such as 'Quizlet' that allow you to make flashcards on your phone etc, if you download the app so I could use it on the bus.
oh my daise, me too !!
Ok. So I'm a year ten and I have mock mocks next year ( June ) yup I said double mocks as they're not even the real mocks but everyone takes them seriously. Here's my issue, the very serious mock mocks coincide with my four latin gcse exams. All the teachers expect me to put my side gcse away in order to do well but I want a good latin grade. What should I do? Revise for end of year mock mocks or my gcse. Latin is only one subject and I can't bear to not be the best! If I get bad results everyone will jeer but what is better long-term?
My tip will be to do posters. It sounds silly but when you do posters and stick them on your wall your more likely to read them when you are in your room. Also make sure your posters are not chunky(info wise). Put bullet points. You will memorise it better...
Dont worry its only your mocks but mocks can predict your results and also see what paper you will be put into....
Original post by Hannzzaaa
Ok. So I'm a year ten and I have mock mocks next year ( June ) yup I said double mocks as they're not even the real mocks but everyone takes them seriously. Here's my issue, the very serious mock mocks coincide with my four latin gcse exams. All the teachers expect me to put my side gcse away in order to do well but I want a good latin grade. What should I do? Revise for end of year mock mocks or my gcse. Latin is only one subject and I can't bear to not be the best! If I get bad results everyone will jeer but what is better long-term?

If I were you I'd definitely revise more for your Latin gcse than your mocks. At the end of the day your mocks don't count towards anything but possibly your predicted gcse grade (and won't affect your final grade in any way), but your Latin is the real deal and you must want to have a grade that you're proud of in it. So what if the others jeer at your bad mock results? Like you said yourself, although your school takes them seriously, those mocks won't define the rest of your life. And congrats for taking Latin gcse!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
My plan for the Mocks and my actual GCSE's is to make a booklet of sorts for each subject, detailing everything I have done in that subject in the past 2 years. It means I won't have to revise from a textbook/exercise book (which aren't great for revision anyway) and the sheer act of writing one up is revision in itself. It will also illustrate what subject areas I do not know much on
Hey Guys! I'm new here!
We have our mock exams after Xmas so in January. I'm gonna start making notes soon.
The thing about my notes is that they are SO USEFUL to ME! I cannot understate the importance of making good exam notes. While your making the notes your revising. Then say, a month later when you have forgot some of the topics. Go back read over it. You'll understand it much quicker.
Oh and Past Papers. Find out what modules your being tested on. Print them papers.
More than likely they'll come up. :smile:
I did my GCSEs years ago but one piece of advice is this: do lots and lots and lots of past papers.
Make sure your are well prepared for the mocks .. eventhough they are mocks, they will give you a real insight into where you are interms of grades. You can also understand how well you work under pressure inexam situations. It may be easy doing the exam in the classroom but the examhall puts more pressure on you.
I was told by my teacher that “you are either likely to get1 grade above or below your mock grades”. Therefore these mocks provide a good indicationof your grade. Its better you work now and be rewarded when you open the resultsenvelope.
Seriously, it really affects your grades, the more youprepare the better your grade will be. I was predicted much higher than what I eventuallyended up getting and I know I am the only one to blame as I did not put enougheffort into my revision.
GOOD LUCK
myGCSEscience videos are really helpful for all sciences
I did my GCSE's in 2012, and I'm not sure what GCSE maths exams are like now because I heard they were making changes, but I highly recommend that you google 'hegartymaths' if you are someone who doesn't find maths easy. I thought I was never going to get my C grade, but using his videos and resources really helped me.

I also found it helpful to make myself short powerpoint presentations, for different topics, that I could talk through with myself. I not only enjoyed the creative side of making a powerpoint, but I also found that I memorised and understood the information better by saying it out loud and making it stand out, rather than reading some dull notes that I made in class.
Original post by bella_shadow
If I were you I'd definitely revise more for your Latin gcse than your mocks. At the end of the day your mocks don't count towards anything but possibly your predicted gcse grade (and won't affect your final grade in any way), but your Latin is the real deal and you must want to have a grade that you're proud of in it. So what if the others jeer at your bad mock results? Like you said yourself, although your school takes them seriously, those mocks won't define the rest of your life. And congrats for taking Latin gcse!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I think I'll do that and just cope with everyone boasting about how they beat me! Lol thanks
I have done all my mocks apart from the art exam, and they were fine! Some of the science papers were HORRIBLE (B2 omfg) but I was worried pretty much for nothing! I revised quite a bit, I started around like mid/earlyish October, and in the beggining I just added to the notes I had from my year 10 mocks, simplifying my cgp books but then as it went closer to the mocks I did every past paper available to try and get the exam technique!

My tips would be to revise, mind maps revision cards and past papers are great! What I did was I did a past paper with no revision right at the beggining, and then the topics I got wrong I focused on :smile: hopefully that worked :wink:

Also, try and manage your time, I know that our school got study leave for the two weeks and only came in for our exams, but not all schools do that, so if you don't just do a past paper the night before on top of all your revision :smile:

Our school wants to do it like the real thing and we have to wait three weeks to get our results on a weekend in an envelope and its so scary :frown: hope you guys all do great x
My GCSE mocks went out like this:

- Do rubbish in all the exams (C's mainly, some lucky B's) because you didn't revise
- Teachers give you good predicted grades anyway because you're a good student
- Magically get those predicted grades in the real exam somehow (though for the real ones obviously revise)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
I took a real science exam last year and I wrote my WHOLE science revision book out 3 times and by the end of it I had memorized most of the book. I got an A so it must help a whole lot! This year for my mock exams I took a different approach and did revision index cards and got them out my pocket whenever I had time just to read over them. A* in R.E and an A in maths so far. :biggrin: The only good thing about these mocks is that now I don't have to make any revision cards next year, LOL. :-) Hope this helps any others.
I have 20 exams over 2 weeks, one week is done but one more to go! Studying as a group helps but also getting exposed to the same text three times on different occasions helps me understand it better.

Quick Reply

Latest