AS AQA Geography...how to write the 15 markers? Watch

Unsure_Student
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi I really want an A in Geography this year, but I'm struggling with my essays. I'm getting around 8/15 at the moment which obviously isn't good enough. Does anyone have any tips/advice on how to structure the essays? As I think that's part of the problem. I try and write in a sophisticated way but it just isn't working and it's stressing me out!

Thanks so much for any replies
bethabbott
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Unsure_Student)
Hi I really want an A in Geography this year, but I'm struggling with my essays. I'm getting around 8/15 at the moment which obviously isn't good enough. Does anyone have any tips/advice on how to structure the essays? As I think that's part of the problem. I try and write in a sophisticated way but it just isn't working and it's stressing me out!

Thanks so much for any replies
15 markers were such a pain! It's mostly focusing on the PEEL technique and nailing the key terms, also understanding what the command words mean... (If you need the definitions of the command words I have them!)
The structure of an essay may be very different dependent on the command word. Evaluate and "to what extent" questions include your opinion.

So...

1. A short introduction. This allows you to define what the key term and state that you understand the question.
  2. Main body paragraphs of your points- make sure that you have a key point and try stick to it, and obviously show your synopticity by looking at all sides of the argument. This is what makes you a good geographer. This will vary dependent on what the question is, so plan your marker before you start it.
  3. Summary, which can be fairly short. It draws all your argument together, so just nail the points, summarise them, make some evaluation as to how strong they are or why someone would agree with them. As stated above, several command words require you to place your opinion in the conclusion, however this can be tied in throughout to strengthen your opinion.
Unsure_Student
Rep:
?
(Original post by bethabbott)
15 markers were such a pain! It's mostly focusing on the PEEL technique and nailing the key terms, also understanding what the command words mean... (If you need the definitions of the command words I have them!)
The structure of an essay may be very different dependent on the command word. Evaluate and "to what extent" questions include your opinion.

So...

1. A short introduction. This allows you to define what the key term and state that you understand the question.
  2. Main body paragraphs of your points- make sure that you have a key point and try stick to it, and obviously show your synopticity by looking at all sides of the argument. This is what makes you a good geographer. This will vary dependent on what the question is, so plan your marker before you start it.
  3. Summary, which can be fairly short. It draws all your argument together, so just nail the points, summarise them, make some evaluation as to how strong they are or why someone would agree with them. As stated above, several command words require you to place your opinion in the conclusion, however this can be tied in throughout to strengthen your opinion.
Only just seen this sorry! Thank you so much, this is really helpful
bethabbott
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Unsure_Student)
Only just seen this sorry! Thank you so much, this is really helpful

You're welcome! I'm personally very stressed over A2 Geography where we have 40 markers... Recently told that the highest someone in last years class got was 26. Wonderful :confused:
Unsure_Student
Rep:
?
(Original post by bethabbott)
You're welcome! I'm personally very stressed over A2 Geography where we have 40 markers... Recently told that the highest someone in last years class got was 26. Wonderful :confused:
Oh no that's not good! I have all that to look forward to
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19