The Student Room Group

GCSE's for Law

Ok, hi guys, I'm in yr 9 and about to pick my gcse's and i aspire to become a lawyer. I'm quite young but would love to get into universities such as LSE, Nottingham, Durham and etc. I would be ever so thankful for ur suggestions. Please help! Im thinking of these gcse's:

Double science (and all compulsory subjects)
Politics
History
French
German

Thanks for your help!

Scroll to see replies

dont think gcse's are that important in terms of uni choices, but i reckon yours sound pretty solid to me
Reply 2
Good choices. I'm a law applicant and am very grateful for my year 9 self for choosing economics GCSE (despite being pressured not to), as it has proved to be a very useful subject, so it may be worth thinking about economics. That said, I'm sure politics is on a very similar level.
Reply 3
thank you, do you think i should do triple science and take out one of my languages?
Original post by dpboy00
thank you, do you think i should do triple science and take out one of my languages?

How many are you allowed to pick? :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
gcse's don't particularly matter when applying to (most) unis.. you're only in year 9 as well, likelihood is that you will change your mind before you get to the stage of deciding what you want to do at uni. when I was in year 9 I had no idea what I wanted to do. year 10/11 I spent thinking of doing something psychology related. only in year 12 did I make a firm decision to pursue law.

I wish you good luck though. :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks for your help. I am a bit confused though as I reckon i should take the following:
Double science(and all compulsory subjects)
German
French
History
Politics
but I am being pressurised to take:
Triple science(and all compulsory subjects)
French
History
Politcs
Original post by dpboy00

If you like. If you don't want to, don't. It really doesn't matter. Your choices are fine.
Original post by dpboy00
Thanks for your help. I am a bit confused though as I reckon i should take the following:
German
French
History
Politics
French
History
Politcs

Like the others have noted, GCSE's aren't that important but if I were you I'd remove one of the languages and do triple science.
Original post by dpboy00
German
French
History
Politics
French
History
Politcs

You're welcome. I would definitely try to take Triple Science. Why are thinking of taking Double? :redface:

Maybe-

Triple Science
French (A language is very good for Law and can open other pathways too)
History (History is also very good and will give you a good essay writing and source reading techniques)
Politcs

Triple Science
German
History
Politcs

Or even...

Triple Science
French
History
German

Do you know what topics you'll be doing in History because if you're doing a lot of political things... GCSE Politics might just end up being an add on? + Try not to worry too much and this is YOUR decision in the end so we can only give advice. :h:

Original post by Mr...
x

Budding lawyer bestie. Advise this child!! :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, what would you say I should do for work experience and stuff because in my school it comes earlier on?
GCSEs options really don't matter at all, as long as you get predominantly A*s-Bs, especially for traditional courses like law and medicine. Good luck though :smile: you sound v bright

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Thanks! I've come to know that GCSE's do not matter that much but A levels do. In order to give a boost to my CV I'm going to do the Duke of Edinburgh award which I need to start this year. If you have done/heard about this award please let me know if it really is helpful or just an extra?!
I disagree with the others and think you should take the 2 languages and double science. You don't need triple science to do science A levels and languages are SO good. By taking 2 languages you really open up your choices for university, whereas triple science GCSE doesn't really do much more than double science in terms of opportunities.
Original post by dpboy00
Thanks! I've come to know that GCSE's do not matter that much but A levels do. In order to give a boost to my CV I'm going to do the Duke of Edinburgh award which I need to start this year. If you have done/heard about this award please let me know if it really is helpful or just an extra?!

I heard that many of the more competitive courses (e.g. medicine, veterinary science) do not consider DofE to be that good, because it's organised by other people and isn't available to some (poorer) people. I mean, it's not bad - especially at Gold, that shows a lot of skills - but things like work experience and music grades/sports/non-school academic achievements are better.
Reply 15
But doesn't DOfe show that you have quite a lot of skills in extra-curricular activities
Original post by dpboy00
But doesn't DOfe show that you have quite a lot of skills in extra-curricular activities

Yes but it isn't really as regarded by universities as people describe it to. The likelihood is that you won't even mention it on your personal statement (since it goes in the qualification field) and if you do, it will be about a line or two.

Yes there's nothing wrong with taking it - however it's not the end of the world if you don't. Admission tutors will be even more impressed if you spend your time looking for relevant experience, etc.
For DoE I would start your volunteering asap! Mine is in June and I'm starting now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I already applied to a charity shop near my house for the voluntary work that starts in Jan, so I have that covered!
Good! Just keep it going, it's good for your personal statement anyways, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending