The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Would imperial accept someone who resat their AS year to do medicine?

Hi :smile:

I want to study medicine at imperial. Last year I studied Spanish, Biology, Chemistry and Maths and I got ABEU. I decided to resit my AS year at a different college and I now study Biology, Chemistry and Maths at AS level and Spanish at A2.

Looking at the imperial college website, there is not really any mention for students who have resat their AS year, only guidelines for those resitting exams in their A2 year after their application. It says they must have achieved at least CCC at first attempt and have suitable extenuating circumstances for their failure to meet their grades. I have a number of reasons for my poor grades but I don't think they would count as 'extenuating circumstances' and I don't know if my application would even be considered.

Can anyone help? :s-smilie:
Original post by l_clarke
Hi :smile:

I want to study medicine at imperial. Last year I studied Spanish, Biology, Chemistry and Maths and I got ABEU. I decided to resit my AS year at a different college and I now study Biology, Chemistry and Maths at AS level and Spanish at A2.

Looking at the imperial college website, there is not really any mention for students who have resat their AS year, only guidelines for those resitting exams in their A2 year after their application. It says they must have achieved at least CCC at first attempt and have suitable extenuating circumstances for their failure to meet their grades. I have a number of reasons for my poor grades but I don't think they would count as 'extenuating circumstances' and I don't know if my application would even be considered.

Can anyone help? :s-smilie:

I'm not an expert on this by any means (this can serve as a bump at the very least) but I wouldn't be too optimistic. I agree that Imperial's policy seems a bit ambiguous but from my knowledge of how competitive Medicine is, even if you weren't filed for an automatic rejection, your profile still probably wouldn't be competitive enough.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
I'm not an expert on this by any means (this can serve as a bump at the very least) but I wouldn't be too optimistic. I agree that Imperial's policy seems a bit ambiguous but from my knowledge of how competitive Medicine is, even if you weren't filed for an automatic rejection, your profile still probably wouldn't be competitive enough.

That's what I was thinking :frown: Thank you very much for your reply. I don't know whether I would be better to apply for relevant undergraduate with the aim of doing post-graduate medicine or to apply for medicine with some kind of naive hope that with my GCSEs and work experience (along with some much more impressive grades this year) I get an offer somewhere :confused:
Reply 3
Original post by l_clarke
That's what I was thinking :frown: Thank you very much for your reply. I don't know whether I would be better to apply for relevant undergraduate with the aim of doing post-graduate medicine or to apply for medicine with some kind of naive hope that with my GCSEs and work experience (along with some much more impressive grades this year) I get an offer somewhere :confused:

What are your GCSE
Reply 4
Original post by twisted
What are your GCSE

6A* 4A
Reply 5
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I'm not sure if you mean resit the whole AS year or just resit the modules. Regarding the whole AS year I don't know sorry however resitting modules I think is fine because I know girl who got an offer for medicine from Imperial and she resat a biology module in the summer, now she's attending Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply :smile: unfortunately I decided to resit my entire year (except continue Spanish at A2 which probably won't help for medicine) 😕

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending