The Student Room Group

My girlfriend is constantly sad and it's bringing me down

Hiii,

I've been with my girlfriend for a couple of months now and she was never like this to begin with but as soon as we started getting more serious, she began becoming moody to the point now where she is just moody all the time.
I don't want to use the word depressed because she is sometimes happy when it suits her, anyway.
Basically I'm a very affectionate guy I constantly talk to her saying I miss her send her good night and good morning texts, try my hardest to cheer her up when she's sad (Even when it's 4am and I have to be up for college at 7am).
it's really beginning to take it's toll on me, I'm a fairly up beat guy but recently she seems to be sucking the positive energy out of me from the moment we wake up.
I haven't spoke to her about it, I feel if I bring it up and say can you just stop being moody for once it will just exacerbate the situation.
What can I do?!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sasson
He should should spike her drink and be done with it.

Might work for you bro but I'm not keen with that idea
Original post by ispiked
Hiii,

I've been with my girlfriend for a couple of months now and she was never like this to begin with but as soon as we started getting serious she became just moody all the time.
I don't want to use the word depressed because she is sometimes happy when it suits her, anyway.
Basically I'm a very affectionate guy I constantly talk to her saying I miss her send her good night and good morning texts, try my hardest to cheer her up when she's sad (Even when it's 4am and I have to be up for college at 7am).
It seriously bringing me down, she seems to suck all of the positive energy out of me from the moment I wake up.
I haven't spoke to her about it, I feel if I bring it up and say can you just stop being moody for once it will just exacerbate the situation.
What can I do?!

Ask her why she has been so down lately. DO NOT use the word moody, that is just looking for an argument.
And another thing just because she is sometimes happy doesn't mean it can't be depression.

I can understand it can suck the energy out of you though, try to support her and see if she can get through it (if it's depression or otherwise) if not you're not a bad guy if you end it.
Original post by sasson
Take her gently to one side. Hold her hand, brush her hair and tell her to stop being a miserable bitch.

You really are vile.
Reply 4
Original post by ispiked
Might work for you bro but I'm not keen with that idea

The problem is the longer you indulge this mood the worst she will become. Think of it as self soothing otherwise she will continue to transfer her negative emotions onto you.
Original post by SophieSmall
Ask her why she has been so down lately. DO NOT use the word moody, that is just looking for an argument.
And another thing just because she is sometimes happy doesn't mean it can't be depression.

I can understand it can suck the energy out of you though, try to support her and see if she can get through it (if it's depression or otherwise) if not you're not a bad guy if you end it.

Why is the word moody such a taboo word for women?
Original post by Schrödingers Cat

I genuinely think it's because some women associate the word moody with the term 'moody cow' lol

Not just for women, I wouldn't recommend a girl saying it to her boyfriend either. The reason I don't think it is a good word to use is because it can make the other persons emotions sound trivial. And since I don't know why she is so down or if she is in fact depressed it is best not trivialise her emotions...the same would go for a man.
she is so lucky i wish i had someone like you #1amrants #ishouldbewritingmyessay #whohashtagsin2014

Having been dumped for being ill I would disagree with this. It's horrible and self-centered to end it because someone's ill.
Original post by ispiked
Hiii,

I've been with my girlfriend for a couple of months now and she was never like this to begin with but as soon as we started getting serious she became just moody all the time.
It seriously bringing me down, she seems to suck all of the positive energy out of me from the moment I wake up.
What can I do?!

Rather than approach her in a way that suggests you're only considering how its affecting you, try and help her explore why she feels this way?
Original post by ispiked
Hiii,

What can I do?!

Either ask her if shes got depression,tell her shes moody all the time or just leave her.
Couple months aint much man
Original post by ispiked

Maybe it's you that's made her depressed and moody?
I have been on both sides of this, I have been the person who has drained the other because of moods and been drained because of someone elses moods.

I think its important to bring it up as something really could be getting to her but maybe she doesn't know how to bring it up? Yeah some girls would take offence if you said she was being moody so probably best to bring it up more subtly like ask if she has been ok lately and she hasn't seemed herself and that might make her talk or if she doesn't talk, then bring up the changes in her you have noticed, without snapping or sounding condescending.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
I have been on both sides of this, I have been the person who has drained the other because of moods and been drained because of someone elses moods.

I hear ya :smile:
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Having been dumped for being ill I would disagree with this. It's horrible and self-centered to end it because someone's ill.

I think immediately ending it BECAUSE someone is ill is selfish, however I don't think it's selfish to end it if you have tried to support someone who is ill who is in turn causing your own mental health to decline because of refusal to seek help or admit a problem.

I suffer from mental health issues too so I understand how you feel and where you are coming from.
Not just for women, I wouldn't recommend a girl saying it to her boyfriend either. The reason I don't think it is a good word to use is because it can make the other persons emotions sound trivial. And since I don't know why she is so down or if she is in fact depressed it is best not trivialise her emotions...the same would go for a man.

I agree with the trivialisation of emotions but I disagree that if you called a man moody he would get upset, he wouldn't care, speaking from experience
I agree with the trivialisation of emotions but I disagree that if you called a man moody he would get upset, he wouldn't care, speaking from experience

Tell that to my ex boyfriend.
Tell that to my ex boyfriend.

What, is he on tsr?

I am think you're making a generalisation based on one personal experience. Although did he really break up with you because you called him moody? I don't think so
(edited 9 years ago)
What, is he on tsr?

Lol no, but if I had called him moody I would be yelled at. Just because it wouldn't bother you or any other male you can think of doesn't mean it doesn't bother other men. I mean I personally wouldn't care if someone called me moody say if I was just in a bad mood or something, however it would really piss me off if I was going through something quite bad and someone called me moody. It's just rude.

Latest

Trending

Trending