Report 5 years ago
OK.
tengentoppa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Seems pretty obvious what's happening.

You're a fun person, and sometimes you meet fun people. All is well.

Sometimes you meet boring people. All is not well.

You're now contemplating becoming boring, which you admit you would hate.

So the obvious answer is to keep being who you are. You'll be happy, and at least some people will like it.

As for people taking the piss, remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkEbbU9ZPv4
Guybrush Sheepgood
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How old are you?

Listen to this fundamental lesson about life. Absorb it. Let it nourish you.

You cannot please everyone
SocialSmocial94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Id and Ego seek)
OK.
Yup, just like that. People like you!
Id and Ego seek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SocialSmocial94)
Yup, just like that. People like you!
SocialSmocial94
Rep:
?
(Original post by Temporality)
Yeah I'm proper sociable because it's more fun and I'm interested in people and I like to make people feel like I'm interested in them. However I also like people to find me reliable for various reasons so I try not to get too carried away with being chatty/over-excitable and if there is a task I always make sure I focus on it and know what's going on as I don't want people to view me as scatty.

At the end of the day sometimes people piss me off but I'd rather be sociable than not because it's more true to myself like you said but also you'll probably do better in the long run, due to networking etc, but also it's good to lead a full life by getting to know lots of people.

Having said all this there are people who do the complete opposite. I think they think theyre cool or something by essentially being rude. Whole first week of uni, there were 2 girls who never smiled at you or made eye contact and they both seem kind of weird. Like it's not that they're withdrawn or depressed, becuse they talk to people and seem content with themselves, they just are really rude to friendly people like myself. The kind of people who don't talk to someone unless they know them. Meh, its their choice but at the end of the day I find such self-absorbed conceited people rude.
Exactly, I notice the rude people all like each other and the only way to be liked by them is to be rude lol. The hell with that! The thing is I wouldn't say that I'm inappropriate my boss/tutors would be so shocked to see me on a night out or something but like yeah, I've gone from feeling stupid for being too nice to feeling really rude/boring for not being nice enough. At the end of the day, you can't please everyone. 'Haters go hate!' Haha . What you said about networking is very true.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm forever trying to be as friendly as I can be to anyone, or at least the smallest burden otherwise.

Embrace who you are, you're a friendly individual, be that friendly individual! Who cares if some people are grumpy and just want to go about their daily dues?

So you work at the gym reception, you give a friendly greeting, well done, 200 points for good customer service! It may be an idea to try and work on noticing whether a person will walk right past you or walk to the reception, so at least you know not to be disappointed if they do ignore you, but it's all customer service if you're working with the public!

CS really does require strong willpower and 80% of the time a face glued into a smile.
SocialSmocial94
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
I'm forever trying to be as friendly as I can be to anyone, or at least the smallest burden otherwise.

Embrace who you are, you're a friendly individual, be that friendly individual! Who cares if some people are grumpy and just want to go about their daily dues?

So you work at the gym reception, you give a friendly greeting, well done, 200 points for good customer service! It may be an idea to try and work on noticing whether a person will walk right past you or walk to the reception, so at least you know not to be disappointed if they do ignore you, but it's all customer service if you're working with the public!

CS really does require strong willpower and 80% of the time a face glued into a smile.
Yeah I play mind games with that actually, helps with the disappointment lol. I'm actually an instructor but I have to sit at reception at times as well. Yeah, I just find that sometimes I just go into my shell to avoid anyone having a bad opinion of me but at the same time that just makes me feel ****ty as well. I would never talk to anyone about this, not even a best friend. Which is why I thought the internet would be a great place!
6Jesus6Christ6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)

Well done mate you're almost a real person now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (12)
57.14%
No (8)
38.1%
I don't know (1)
4.76%

Watched Threads