Oscar Shot his wife FOUR time , only go jail for 10 MONTHs. Why? i dont understand.

Watch
raq123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
s_________
Badges: 9
Report 6 years ago
South Africa legal system -_-
RachaelBee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because there's no justice. Whether he meant to shoot her or not (I personally believe he did) he shot 4 times at someone who was locked in his bathroom. That says to me he meant to kill and that the person on the other side of the door wasn't a threat unless he keeps all his valubles stashed in the medicine cabinet.
Id and Ego seek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Male privilege.
Badshah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because of who he is. If it was someone else, he would have gone to jail for a long time.
onlythestrong
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Badshah)
Because of who he is. If it was someone else, he would have gone to jail for a long time.
He should have received a much lesser sentence than the one he got. In fact it should have been community service rather than jail or even no sentence.
lou 22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They weren’t married. Were they????????
lou 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Still a ****ing henious crime none the less, it should of been years not months, the £££ matters and I will snm.
twisted
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Id and Ego seek)
Male privilege.
No
Viceroy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lou 22)
They weren’t married. Were they????????
No, it was his girlfriend.

He was convicted of culpable homicide, but there was reasonable doubt according to the judge that he meant to murder her, so that's the sentence he received.
onlythestrong
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Still a ****ing henious crime none the less, it should of been years not months, the £££ matters and I will snm.
It was not a heinous crime. It was an accident. In fact it was not really a crime at all.
lou 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Viceroy)
No, it was his girlfriend.

He was convicted of culpable homicide, but there was reasonable doubt according to the judge that he meant to murder her, so that's the sentence he received.
Thats what I thought so OP got the title wrong.

Yeah, I watched the trial, still ridic, I would of got longer for slapping a police officer.
lou 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by onlythestrong)
It was not a heinous crime. It was an accident. In fact it was not really a crime at all.
Shooting your GF that happened to have a packed bag and phone with her by accident... I think not, plus futhermore if you are in bed with your partner and hear strange noises you check your partner is there first before getting drastic.

I know you will probably say he was closing the patio doors but either way you check on your partner first prep them if you can then act.
onlythestrong
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Shooting your GF that happened to have a packed bag and phone with her by accident... I think not, plus futhermore if you are in bed with your partner and hear strange noises you check your partner is there first before getting drastic.

I know you will probably say he was closing the patio doors but either way you check on your partner first prep them if you can then act.
It was an understandable incident. Ms Steenkamp knew he was jumpy but persisted with her behaviour so unfortunately she will not be joining her family for the rest of her life.
mackemforever
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RachaelBee)
Because there's no justice. Whether he meant to shoot her or not (I personally believe he did) he shot 4 times at someone who was locked in his bathroom. That says to me he meant to kill and that the person on the other side of the door wasn't a threat unless he keeps all his valubles stashed in the medicine cabinet.
Ok, let's assume that he did genuinely think that it was somebody who had broken into his house. Now I'm not saying that I believe that, but for the sake of this post we shall be saying that was the case.

In South Africa you would have every reason to believe that you would be in danger. There is a very high level of gun crime over there, a very high percentage of criminals are armed and if a burglar encountered somebody in the house that they had just broken in to then there is every possibility that they would end up shooting that person. If he did genuinely believe that somebody had broken in through the window into that bathroom then he would have also had every reason to believe that unless he did something then it could very well result in the person who had broken in escalating things and putting him in danger, and so he did what was necessary to eliminate that risk.
RachaelBee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mackemforever)
Ok, let's assume that he did genuinely think that it was somebody who had broken into his house. Now I'm not saying that I believe that, but for the sake of this post we shall be saying that was the case.

In South Africa you would have every reason to believe that you would be in danger. There is a very high level of gun crime over there, a very high percentage of criminals are armed and if a burglar encountered somebody in the house that they had just broken in to then there is every possibility that they would end up shooting that person. If he did genuinely believe that somebody had broken in through the window into that bathroom then he would have also had every reason to believe that unless he did something then it could very well result in the person who had broken in escalating things and putting him in danger, and so he did what was necessary to eliminate that risk.
I'm aware of that, I have a few friends who have left the country for that reason, but unless the 'burglar' had eaten something a bit dodgy beforehand they would have no reason to be staying in the bathroom if you ask me.
mackemforever
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RachaelBee)
I'm aware of that, I have a few friends who have left the country for that reason, but unless the 'burglar' had eaten something a bit dodgy beforehand they would have no reason to be staying in the bathroom if you ask me.
Who said anything about them staying in the bathroom?

It would have been entirely possible that they broke in through that window, the noise woke him up and in the time it took them to climb fully through the window he made it to the bathroom door and fired.
RachaelBee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mackemforever)
Who said anything about them staying in the bathroom?

It would have been entirely possible that they broke in through that window, the noise woke him up and in the time it took them to climb fully through the window he made it to the bathroom door and fired.
We know though that there wasn't the sound of a window being broken because there wasn't a burglar. That would have been different. He'd have had quite a way to walk (there are floor plans of his house online) and without his legs he wouldn't have been quite as quick, making it likely that a violent burglar would have been out of the bathroom before he had chance to shoot through a door.
Balloon Baboon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Corruption of the state, unfortunatly.

You hear something in the night, what's a normal persons first reaction? That's right, you would check to see if it was your girlfriend/boyfriend who was making the noise. Instead, he decided that;

A) It can't be Reeva that woke him (even though he didn't check the bed he shared with her)
B) A burglar must be steeling his toothbrush.
C) Shoots without question.

He killed her and go away with it.
MrMango
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by raq123)
Because hes white and a celebrity.. and to be fair SA doesnt have many celebs they can't afford to lock up one of the most recognised figures in their country.. after mandela died SA has not much going for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (697)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (875)
42.56%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
19.07%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.47%

Watched Threads