Is the Madonna/***** complex relevant in contemporary British culture?

Watch
Eveiebaby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello! I just wanted to encourage some casual debate about Freud's theory and the extent to which you feel that it applies in contemporary British times.

For ease from here, the definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna...3*****_complex

"Madonna–***** complex is the inability to maintain sexual arousal within a committed, loving relationship.[1] First identified by Sigmund Freud, under the rubric of psychic impotence,[2] this psychological complex is said to develop in men who see women as either saintly Madonnas or debased prostitutes. Men with this complex desire a sexual partner who has been degraded (the *****) while they cannot desire the respected partner (the Madonna"
RachaelBee
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is this the same as the virgin/***** dichotomy? My (drunk) friend was trying to explain but it was tough to understand.
Eveiebaby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by RachaelBee)
Is this the same as the virgin/***** dichotomy? My (drunk) friend was trying to explain but it was tough to understand.
Yes it is. It's basically the idea that some men cannot allow themselves to live a woman who is sexuality liberated but at the same time cannot be turned on or fully gratified by the woman who has his heart or full respect.
Ombre
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends on the definition of British contemporary culture and on how it's portrayed in the news and on social media. Some people distributing information or entertainment etc. repeatedly try to present this complex to the general public as some self-evident fact, especially within lad culture. If you straightforwarldly define culture as the people it consists of, at least I think this complex is very common in contemporary Brits, more like the rule than the exception, but milder variations of it, in which the idealization/devaluation isn't complete, don't necessarily make a relationship dysfunctional in a bad way, and on top of that many (or stereotypical) British people find extreme, black-and-white ideas and beliefs like the Madonna/***** complex a lot too over-the-top to be taken seriously. Hope this was neutral enough and answered your question
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.27%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (19)
16.24%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (21)
17.95%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (15)
12.82%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (36)
30.77%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (21)
17.95%

Watched Threads