Want to do multimedia journalism but know nothing about journalism?

Watch
saaraaah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So i'm hoping to go on and do multimedia journalism at Bournemouth University, however I know nothing about journalism that I can put in my personal statement or say in my interviews if I get to that stage and was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what I could do to help me get further???
llys
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well, why do you want to do it?
llys
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
One recent trend that I personally find very interesting is "data journalism" (you can google it), so that's what I personally would talk about. Don't try this though if you can't figure out what it is, don't care what it is, and/or the course doesn't suit it.

In fact, check the course module list, and then talk about whatever interests you on there (I assume something must).
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I bet you know more about journalism than you think because it has cross overs with what is covered in English lessons: who's the target audience, what is the bias, what is the purpose of a text etc.

I would have thought that an interest in the above would be a good starting point. And as others say, talk about your interest in journalism and why you want to do it.
saaraaah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Ahh okay thank you guys!! Think I know where to from here now, thanks again! ^.^
AliBonce
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by saaraaah)
So i'm hoping to go on and do multimedia journalism at Bournemouth University, however I know nothing about journalism that I can put in my personal statement or say in my interviews if I get to that stage and was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what I could do to help me get further???
Hi Sarah,

I studied Multimedia Journalism 2007-2010 and I felt exactly the same as you when applying! I occasionally watched the news on TV or flicked through the papers, but I felt totally inexperienced.
I found the interview day really good (quite scary, but fun!). I don't know if they still do these, but we got to read the news in the news studio, as well as write a short news piece and talk with the tutors.
The course itself was so interesting and I felt like I left with a multitude of skills. I loved TV and radio especially, and I hear that they also do lots of online stuff now too, which sounds great.
Ultimately I think you just need to go for it - the tutors will be able to see the potential in you, even if you can't
Happy to help further if you need to know more about the course, the uni or the town.

Alice
Sonia_×
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Sarah so i intend on applying for a post graduate taught in Multimedia journalism please can u put ne through on how to go about my personal statment
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sonia_×)
Hi Sarah so i intend on applying for a post graduate taught in Multimedia journalism please can u put ne through on how to go about my personal statment
She might, but it's unlikely given that this thread is from 2014...

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
6.06%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (6)
18.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
12.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
9.09%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (7)
21.21%

Watched Threads