The Student Room Group

My nan uses Luisa Zissmann as an example of why young mums who exercise are selfish

Selfish, spoiled and irresponsible. Valid?

maybe move to Society, although it probably barely qualifies for that

Her basic argument from a few months back is basically that any mum who goes to the gym/a fitness class/anything but a slow walk with Baby when Baby is…under 5 years old, including leaving them at a creche or in the hands of another trusted adult like Aunty Sally, is a bitch. A thorough selfish heartless spoiled narcissistic vain cow who should not have been allowed to give birth. I think her argument extended to, if you lose weight in front of your children you're a bad mum (selfish vain irresponsible), if you gain weight you're a good one (shows discipline and sacrifice).

But for some reason leaving them at the creche to go to work is just about OK in her books. :s-smilie:

Now maybe this is just because I'm a young lad who doesn't know the meaning of responsibility, certainly I am not ready for a baby. but this seems a little strange. I could understand when they're under 6 months or a year because of bond formation and that, but not even a creche? Secondly, I'm not sure what the hell she's talking about when she says getting fat in front of babies and toddlers is a great role model :face palm

Finally to use Luisa Zissman from The Apprentice, is hardly a fair representation of every young mum. She may look good but she blatantly exploited her weight loss and body for the tabloids like the Daily Fail and had the money/status to do so, while neglecting her 3 year old in the process. I have gripes about that, but my nan is taking this to a silly level, so silly I think I might have misunderstood her opinion.

A rather bizarre musing of mine today, I'd appreciate the opinions of mums and parents on this one because it could be I'm just as bid as Ms Zissman.
(edited 9 years ago)
This makes no sense to me but if it's true it's just another reason for why I shouldn't have kids. o.O
I understand your nan's viewpoint but I don't think it's right. I'm guessing she thinks that anything that is not total devotion to the child is neglect on part of the mother, probably explains why she's ok with mothers going to work but not the gym. I think it's a very extreme viewpoint that mothers should have no free time for themselves, or that going to the gym is somehow vain. Mothers, like all human beings, need some space to better themselves, and by bettering themselves not only are they improving the situation for their child by making themselves more able and fit to do things with the child when they get older but they're setting a good example for the child so they can see visually that hard work has positive results.

Quick Reply

Latest