The Student Room Group

I'm not interested in him

Okay, there's this guy on my course he's really shy when I say shy I mean extremely he barely talks about anything. Anyway I switch course recently and we were in one lecture together in year 1st year (I'm currently in my 2nd year) so I'm trying to find out more info on what they did last year so I asked this guy and other students as well. However, I've noticed that he's always sitting next to me which didn't seem weird at first as I thought it was his way of be friendly since he's so shy.But he's always following me everywhere I go and the worst thing he barely even speaks to me. I hate the fact that he follows me everywhere (I like my own personal space) this has been going on for a week now. And yesterday I saw a friend of mine whom I haven't seen in awhile and she ask who is this (referring to the guy) and making it seem like something is wrong with having a male friend at uni. Later on that day he was going home and I still had a class left in the same room that me and him had a tutorial in, he reach out to hug me bye and I pretended like I did see and then he did it again so I just gave him the stupid hug. Afterwards I reflect on everything and I think he likes, I'm seeing someone at the moment but even if I was single I would consider him for multiple reasons. 1. I'm just not attracted to him I still can't tell if he's attracted to me. 2. He's Muslim and I think our cultural differences would clash. 3. He's awkward on so many levels which makes feel uncomfortable when I'm around him. I have become paranoid that he's come around when he's not and I really don't want to hurt his feelings. What should I do?
Hugs make me super awkward unless it's a genuinely good friend! A girl once thought she'd hurt me and tried to hug me and without thinking I pushed her away... :colondollar: I've always made a joke out of it and said something like "I'm sorry I don't do hugs or touching".

Can you get to lectures later than him and try sit somewhere away from him? This is definitely his problem, he may be shy and just be desperate for a friend but clearly he isn't understanding social cues and that's not your fault.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending