The Student Room Group

Where is the line between banter and bullying?

Thoughts?
Bullying is something that is hurtful that like makes somebody upset whereas banter is just like joking around and doesn't upset somebody
Reply 2
There is no line. It is fully dependent on the person saying it.
Depends who you're saying it too. I know I could say something horrifically offensive to my friend but he'd laugh, take it well and vice versa. I could say the same thing to someone I didn't know and they may cry.

If the person explicitly expresses distaste and is not happy with what you said but you keep saying it, it's bullying. No matter if that person is your friend or not, no matter if you intended what you said as a joke or not.
Reply 4
As others said it depends. I known people when I was younger who made hurtful comments to others as "banter" and carried on even when they knew it made the other person upset; I'd class that as bullying in that situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Banter = mutual fun
Bullying = not mutual fun
When you make them cry you've crossed the line
Original post by hellodave5
Banter = mutual fun
Bullying = not mutual fun

Pretty much this. I have a friend who likes to make some rather sarcastic comments towards me and I know he's joking. Although I did manage to take a comment of his completely the wrong way and though he was insulting me.:colondollar:
Original post by somemightsay888

If the person explicitly expresses distaste and is not happy with what you said but you keep saying it, it's bullying. No matter if that person is your friend or not, no matter if you intended what you said as a joke or not.

Exactly this. If you say something you can't be entirely sure how they will take it. So to say banter is bullying when it's 'not mutual fun' is incorrect, as you could say it as banter but the person doesn't take it well. That's not bullying- it's only bullying when you go and do it again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending