The Student Room Group

A-Level Reforms - 2015

Hey guys, I'm Alice and I'm currently in Year 11 and I am going to be studying my A-Levels as of September 2015. I am aware of the reforms that Michael Gove (:angry:) has planned to put forward for A-Levels, so there will be no more AS and A2 and exams are at the end of Year 13. For my career, I want to be a dentist & I ideally need to take 4 A Levels and drop my weakest one at the end of Year 12 and get an AS level in it (lower case letter).

I read on the Guardian and it stated that there is still AS Levels but it is now a standalone qualification that would be taken in either Year 12 or 13, so will I still be able to take 4 A-Levels but take 1 AS Level and 3 full A Levels and complete my AS Level in my desired subject while I'm in Year 12? Sorry if this is a dumb question but every place I'm reading about these reforms states different things and I just want someone to clarify this for me.

Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by aligee_
Hey guys, I'm Alice and I'm currently in Year 11 and I am going to be studying my A-Levels as of September 2015. I am aware of the reforms that Michael Gove (:angry:) has planned to put forward for A-Levels, so there will be no more AS and A2 and exams are at the end of Year 13. For my career, I want to be a dentist & I ideally need to take 4 A Levels and drop my weakest one at the end of Year 12 and get an AS level in it (lower case letter).

I read on the Guardian and it stated that there is still AS Levels but it is now a standalone qualification that would be taken in either Year 12 or 13, so will I still be able to take 4 A-Levels but take 1 AS Level and 3 full A Levels and complete my AS Level in my desired subject while I'm in Year 12? Sorry if this is a dumb question but every place I'm reading about these reforms states different things and I just want someone to clarify this for me.

Thanks guys :smile:

i know right-This is soooo annoying
Don't worry.

Every school will decide exactly what it wants to do, but at the end of the first year I imagine you will either sit the AS in each subject as you study for the A-Levels or your school will give you a mock on each subject. The lowest of your subjects in the AS/mock will probably make the decision for you which to drop. If you do well you'll probably be given the option to continue (as is the case now in many schools).

Things may change so don't take this a fact, but whatever is the situation it won't put you at a disadvantage, as everyone will be in the same position. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Trust me! I wonder if uni's will have to change their entry requirements because of these changes, so annoying. I wish I was born a year earlier.:frown:
Original post by aligee_
Trust me! I wonder if uni's will have to change their entry requirements because of these changes, so annoying. I wish I was born a year earlier.:frown:

Entry requirements will be adjusted so as to reflect the changes, as course entry requirements are based on demand.

If people do worse due to these they'll go down, if it's 'easier' then they will go up, but it's nothing to worry about - do your best and you'll get into the best university you can.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Comeback
Don't worry.

Every school will decide exactly what it wants to do, but at the end of the first year I imagine you will either sit the AS in each subject as you study for the A-Levels or your school will give you a mock on each subject. The lowest of your subjects in the AS/mock will probably make the decision for you which to drop.

Things may change but it won't put you at a disadvantage, everyone will be in the same position

Thankyou! It's just slightly scary as we're the first year doing it & what this will mean for uni applications etc.
Original post by aligee_

If I had been born before my due date, I would have been doing my AS levels at the moment. Unfortunately, I was late so I have to do the new A levels. :mad:
Reply 7
Original post by Comeback
Entry requirements will be adjusted so as to reflect the changes, as course entry requirements are based on demand.

If people do worse due to these they'll go down, if it's 'easier' then they will go up, but it's nothing to worry about - do your best and you'll get into the best university you can.

Thankyou again! You've made me feel 100 times better:biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by horsewithnoname
If I had been born before my due date, I would have been doing my AS levels at the moment. Unfortunately, I was late so I have to do the new A levels. :mad:

If I was born on my due date, I would've being doing the new GCSES & A-levels :eek: that's one good thing I guess...

Quick Reply

Latest