Turn on thread page Beta

Another question (English) watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok i've had another debate in my english literature class and here i am seeing whether the people on this site are more intelligent than my class or have any good points?
    ok here is what we had the first debate on?
    Evil people
    We were asked to name some characterictics of the devil and then tick of all the characterictic that humans have. (have you name some yet)
    Then we had to say what made the devil worst?
    the second dbate was on?
    nameing the evilest person know and why?
    we came up with:
    Hitler
    Myra Hindly
    And Hunters girlfriend (the one that lied for him) :confused:

So what would you have said to each of these qusetions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahollisan)
    Ok i've had another debate in my english literature class and here i am seeing whether the people on this site are more intelligent than my class or have any good points?
    ok here is what we had the first debate on?
    Evil people
    We were asked to name some characterictics of the devil and then tick of all the characterictic that humans have. (have you name some yet)
    Then we had to say what made the devil worst?
    the second dbate was on?
    we came up with:
    Hitler
    Myra Hindly

why do you name myra hindley but not ian brady?

i think robert mugabe is evil and v.dangerous.

what kind of charcteristics did you name for the devil?

ReputationRep:
    And Hunters girlfriend (the one that lied for him) [QUOTE]

Shes the most evil u cud come up with??

ReputationRep:
    As you mention Hitler, another good debate is the use of Nazi experimentation... Although terrible, terrible and unjustifiable things were done to innocent people in these experiments, some of the 'results' have been put to 'good' use.

Should they way the data was obtained mean that it should never have been/ be being used?

ReputationRep:
    Hannibal Lector, the Silence of the Lambs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    I love him! Seriously! Phorough! He would have to promise not to nibble though!

ReputationRep:
    Boris Yeltsion, George Bush (maybe) , Roy Whiting (who killed Sarah Payne), Harold Shipman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    hannibal lector, manhunter -much scarier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    hannibal lector, manhunter -much scarier
    No chance! Manhunter was such a disapointment! Was glad they made 'Red Dragon'!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=SpAnIsH_fLy]And Hunters girlfriend (the one that lied for him)

Shes the most evil u cud come up with??
    no but she was on our scale of good to evil near the middle inching to evil.
    As one of the characteritic of an evil person is one with no remorse.
    Just as she appears

ReputationRep:
    no but she was on our scale of good to evil near the middle inching to evil.
    As one of the characteritic of an evil person is one with no remorse.
    Just as she appears
    To be fair, you have to feel you were wrong, and need to be sane to feel remorse!

Ps it's HuntLEY, not Hunter! and her name is Maxine Carr

ReputationRep:
    i agree that maxine carr is not very evil. i dont think she's halfway between good and evil. i agree she was awful in her decision to protect huntley but she didnt kill the girls.

i think charles manson is also someone who's very evil
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I don't believe in good or evil...they're just labels that we apply to things that work for society and against it.

They're useful words to use sometimes to get a point across but when it comes down to it it's not really what is right and what is wrong - it's what is most right on balance (for a person, a group of people, a society) compared to what is most wrong on balance (for a person, a group of people, a society).

Sometimes what is right for a person is right for society - sometimes it's wrong for society.

It's short sighted to label someone as evil simply because what they believed was right for them is generally agreed to be wrong by society. Instead of labelling people as evil we should be trying to understand their motivations and find a way to structure society so that it is right for more people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I don't believe in good or evil...they're just labels that we apply to things that work for society and against it.

They're useful words to use sometimes to get a point across but when it comes down to it it's not really what is right and what is wrong - it's what is most right on balance (for a person, a group of people, a society) compared to what is most wrong on balance (for a person, a group of people, a society).

Sometimes what is right for a person is right for society - sometimes it's wrong for society.

It's short sighted to label someone as evil simply because what they believed was right for them is generally agreed to be wrong by society. Instead of labelling people as evil we should be trying to understand their motivations and find a way to structure society so that it is right for more people.
    Exactly, I mean how do you define 'evil'? And how do you define 'Evil' if you are non-religous? You need a moral code, and by declaring someone else as evil, you are putting yourself on a pedistal of 'goodness'.

Personally I think Fred West was a total *******, but was he eveil? Or was he mentally ill and let down by society?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Exactly, I mean how do you define 'evil'? And how do you define 'Evil' if you are non-religous? You need a moral code, and by declaring someone else as evil, you are putting yourself on a pedistal of 'goodness'.

Personally I think Fred West was a total *******, but was he eveil? Or was he mentally ill and let down by society?
    The problem here is that when someone is mentally ill, it is not obvious. Fred West must have been mentally ill on some level as must all people who commit such atrocities as we are all taught that same 'right's and wrong's'. Fred West and all of the people not helped beforew they comitted crimes were let down by society as they weren't identified as being ill. But I don't think society can be blamed exactly. What system can you put in place to identify these disturbed individuals? Counselling for everyone like we have dentists so that problems can be spotted? It's near to impossible and if people feel that they need to/want to do these things, what if they don't want or avoid help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    The problem here is that when someone is mentally ill, it is not obvious. Fred West must have been mentally ill on some level as must all people who commit such atrocities as we are all taught that same 'right's and wrong's'. Fred West and all of the people not helped beforew they comitted crimes were let down by society as they weren't identified as being ill. But I don't think society can be blamed exactly. What system can you put in place to identify these disturbed individuals? Counselling for everyone like we have dentists so that problems can be spotted? It's near to impossible and if people feel that they need to/want to do these things, what if they don't want or avoid help?
    I disagree! Evil is just a title that covers a multitude of things that so called 'normal' humans put on others so they don't have to fully comprehend their actions. Evil is bounded by the physical, is self-centered, ego-driven and local...

Take the situation in the Gulf. Who is evil there? Saddams regieme? Or the US and UK soldiers, who are supposed to be 'good' and the saviours of good honest Iraqais, but who adorn the pages of our newspapers abusing the very people they are supposed to be helping?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how you have managed to make and Ian Huntley's girlfriend evil. Considering the nature of their relationship, her fear and general psycological factors that would have led to her not telling about the missing girls.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose what is evil to some is not evil to others. There will always be groups in society who will think people are evil.

ReputationRep:
    the second dbate was on?
    we came up with:
    Hitler
    Myra Hindly

Oh great. It's 2004, and it's still the women who support evil men who are seen as evil. What about Huntley himself? Or Ian Brady? Carr - and especially Hindley - were wrong to do what they did, but I wouldn't put them up there with Hitler.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    What about Huntley himself?
    Glad someone mentioned this! I was just about to put the same.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.