The Student Room Group

Feeling so stupid and terrified...

To put it into simple words, I'm terrified and feel so stupid as well.

I'm right now in Year 12 doing AS Chemistry, Biology, History and Psychology. And think that I'm doing difficult subjects and might have to drop History before June now :redface:

Basically what happened as to why I'm terrified is that, I was in a Chemistry Intervention Session afterschool, two Year 13 students started talking to me and a friend and we discussed Chemistry since we were primarily doing Chemistry. Then one of them started discussing what she got in Chemistry (an E I believe despite doing quite well in Chemistry at the beginning) and started saying if you wanna excel in Chemistry, the best thing for you is to revise and taking notes isn't regarded as revision. That's what I've been doing though.....:redface:

So I'm now terrified about not getting a good enough grade. I'm revising using notes however don't know what else I should be using. Really want at least a B in my subjects....But scared I might not be able to get anything above a C :frown: :cry2:

What good revision techniques from successful A-Level students can be used to get at least a B at AS? (Preferably from students taking similiar or the same subjects

Sorry for crying :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Don't let her put you off. Different revision methods work for different people and if that works for you stick with it. Do try and do past papers under exam conditions though and mark them to track your progress.
Just try your best. Your friends experience doesn't have to be repeated for you. Keep up to date with work and ofcourse you will excel and succeed. being negative isn't helping you.
Original post by zhang-liao

I'm right now in Year 12 doing AS Chemistry, Biology, History and Psychology. And think that I'm doing difficult subjects and might have to drop History before June now :redface:

Basically what happened as to why I'm terrified is that, I was in a Chemistry Intervention Session afterschool, two Year 13 students started talking to me and a friend and we discussed Chemistry since we were primarily doing Chemistry. Then one of them started discussing what she got in Chemistry (an E I believe despite doing quite well in Chemistry at the beginning) and started saying if you wanna excel in Chemistry, the best thing for you is to revise and taking notes isn't regarded as revision. That's what I've been doing though.....:redface:

So I'm now terrified about not getting a good enough grade. I'm revising using notes however don't know what else I should be using. Really want at least a B in my subjects....But scared I might not be able to get anything above a C :frown: :cry2:

What good revision techniques from successful A-Level students can be used to get at least a B at AS? (Preferably from students taking similiar or the same subjects

I wouldn't stress too much about what she said tbh. As the person above me said, everyone has their own strategies for revision and that's only one person who has said that. All I really did when I was revising was make notes, do the questions at the end of the chapters and then do past papers and I ended up doing decently. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by RachaelBee
Don't let her put you off. Different revision methods work for different people and if that works for you stick with it. Do try and do past papers under exam conditions though and mark them to track your progress.

She mentioned that and said find your revision technique but how am I meant to though :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by usycool1
I wouldn't stress too much about what she said tbh. As the person above me said, everyone has their own strategies for revision and that's only one person who has said that. All I really did when I was revising was make notes, do the questions at the end of the chapters and then do past papers and I ended up doing decently. :smile:

Hi usy, what A-Levels did you do? Out of the blue...

:jumphug:
Reply 7
Original post by karmacrunch
:jumphug:

:hugs:
She mentioned that and said find your revision technique but how am I meant to though :frown:

Trial and error I guess. I found out pretty quickly that writing notes doesn't help much because I focus on the words rather than the actual sentence so the meaning gets lost. I find that reading is far more helpful. I think you naturally gravitate to the methods you're most comfortable with.
:hugs:

I can't help that much (only in Y10 :tongue:) but I think that if a method works for you and you understand... go for it! :biggrin: The girl might have found that method unhelpful unlike you? I'm sure you'll be fine and take any good advice that comes up on here. Good luck! :h:
Calm down bro I'm annoyed myself. I got 0% on the last psychology test first test we did relied hugely on prior knowledge and it did not work. Today I asked a teacher for help and she said "you've got issues" I was so pissed. Next test is coming up and I'm not getting anything less than 100%. I hate psychology im dropping it next year for sure. Its a bag of **** for me.
Original post by karmacrunch
I can't help that much (only in Y10 :tongue:) but I think that if a method works for you and you understand... go for it! :biggrin: The girl might have found that method unhelpful unlike you? I'm sure you'll be fine and take any good advice that comes up on here. Good luck! :h:

Good luck with your GCSE's Karma :smile:
Its just that AS-Level feel so urgh...I'm worried about my grades and that I'll screw up somehow...

Original post by Project Tsukyomi
Calm down bro I'm annoyed myself. I got 0% on the last psychology test first test we did relied hugely on prior knowledge and it did not work. Today I asked a teacher for help and she said "you've got issues" I was so pissed. Next test is coming up and I'm not getting anything less than 100%. I hate psychology im dropping it next year for sure. Its a bag of **** for me.

Hey, what board you doing Psychology with? I'm currently on Edexcel, might be able to help you. :smile:

Sorry, but I cannot stop laughing at I got 0% on the last psychology test and Today I asked a teacher for help and she said "you've got issues"
Original post by twisted
Sorry, but I cannot stop laughing at I got 0% on the last psychology test and Today I asked a teacher for help and she said "you've got issues"

now that you mentioned it... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Original post by Angelo12231
now that you mentioned it... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm crying
Reply 15
my advice would be unless you want to got to a uni which requires 4 as levels(very few do but check) then drop the one you enjoy the least/are worst at

why is this so funny
Reply 17
Revising from notes won't really get you anywhere in any subject, I must admit. Practising past papers is what helped me most as it gets you in the mindset for actually writing the exam. More specifically so under exam conditions.
Original post by twisted
I'm crying

you're killing me man
Original post by 1501
Revising from notes won't really get you anywhere in any subject, I must admit. Practising past papers is what helped me most as it gets you in the mindset for actually writing the exam. More specifically so under exam conditions.

Shouldn't students be using past papers closer to the exams?

Quick Reply

Latest