The Student Room Group

Mechanics 2 help! (Moments and equilibrium)

Help please :frown:

A uniform beam AB of length 5 m and mass 20kg rests in equilibrium in a horizontal position on supports at C and D where AC = BD =0.5m.
The beam carries a load of 18N at E where AE = 2m.
Find the forces in the supports at C and D. (Take g=9.8m/s^2)

I have no idea how to do this. Any help would be appreciated
Original post by Incubator
Help please :frown:

A uniform beam AB of length 5 m and mass 20kg rests in equilibrium in a horizontal position on supports at C and D where AC = BD =0.5m.
The beam carries a load of 18N at E where AE = 2m.
Find the forces in the supports at C and D. (Take g=9.8m/s^2)

I have no idea how to do this. Any help would be appreciated

Draw yourself a diagram.

Take moments about one of the supports (e.g. C) to find the reaction force at the other (in this case, D). Then you can resolve upwards to find the reaction force on (in this case) C.
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1
Draw yourself a diagram.

Take moments about one of the supports (e.g. C) to find the reaction force at the other (in this case, D). Then you can resolve upwards to find the reaction force on (in this case) C.

Not sure how to go about drawing the diagram haha
Not sure how to go about drawing the diagram haha

OK, I'll draw it for you and explain to get you started. :smile:

The triangles are the supports.

The distance from A or B to the mass of the rod would be 2.5m (as the rod is uniform).

The distance from A to C is 0.5m, which is the same as the distance from B to D. This means that the distance from support D to the mass of the rod must be 2m (as distance from B to mass of rod = 2.5m).

See if you can work out what I've done on the "A side" as well. :smile:
Reply 4

The distance from A or B to the mass of the rod would be 2.5m (as the rod is uniform).

The distance from A to C is 0.5m, which is the same as the distance from B to D. This means that the distance from support D to the mass of the rod must be 2m (as distance from B to mass of rod = 2.5m).

Thank you :smile:
Not sure but I got 109.23 N for C and 104.75 N for D :smile:
Reply 6

Thank you for your help, looked over my previous work and it's all coming back to me now :smile: Jazak'Allah
Thank you for your help, looked over my previous work and it's all coming back to me now :smile: Jazak'Allah

No worries bro, glad it helped. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest