The Student Room Group

Should have chosen STEM

I feel like I've made a huge mistake in my A level choices.

I'm in A2 now, studying History, English Lit and Maths. I have applied for PPE at a number of universities, including Oxford.

My chances of getting into Oxford are slim (to put it optimistically) and now I'm going to be left with a useless PPE degree from some other university, or none at all. No one wants to employ non-Oxford PPEists, or any social science graduates who aren't from the VERY top universities for that matter.

So I'm pretty much condemned to a life of fiscal struggle and regret. I should have really chosen to do all sciences, then I'd have some employability.

I'm already a year older than my peers, and no one retakes ALL of their A levels, so my life is screwed before it's hardly begun.

So my advice to anyone considering their A level choices is to stick to STEM only so you are not stuck with useless subjects. If not, you'll probably end up regretting. Maybe not now, but after you secure your worthless social/humanities/arts degree you'll be in for a world of hurt.
Reply 1
Original post by Zarp
I feel like I've made a huge mistake in my A level choices.

I'm in A2 now, studying History, English Lit and Maths. I have applied for PPE at a number of universities, including Oxford.

My chances of getting into Oxford are slim (to put it optimistically) and now I'm going to be left with a useless PPE degree from some other university, or none at all. No one wants to employ non-Oxford PPEists, or any social science graduates who aren't from the VERY top universities for that matter.

So I'm pretty much condemned to a life of fiscal struggle and regret. I should have really chosen to do all sciences, then I'd have some employability.

I'm already a year older than my peers, and no one retakes ALL of their A levels, so my life is screwed before it's hardly begun.

So my advice to anyone considering their A level choices is to stick to STEM only so you are not stuck with useless subjects. If not, you'll probably end up regretting. Maybe not now, but after you secure your worthless social/humanities/arts degree you'll be in for a world of hurt.

Your choices are fine. You should focus on getting high grades.
Reply 2
Original post by jack-1
Your choices are fine. You should focus on getting high grades.

I suppose I could have chosen my degree better, but there's no denying STEM beats non-STEM when it comes to employability.

You won't get an ex-poly Physics student flipping quite as many burgers as a Durham PPE grad
I picked STEM subjects, and failed at them three times (well okay I was suffering from depression)

Even if you get into a STEM degree merely for career prospects, how would you be able to be motivated to suffer through 3 long years doing your degree as it becomes increasingly harder to keep up with the studies?

I'd say a mix of subjects you enjoy, and subjects good for career prospects is better than putting all your eggs in one basket.
Reply 4
Don't be so hard on yourself.
Reply 5
Original post by nsolma1
I picked STEM subjects, and failed at them three times (well okay I was suffering from depression)

Even if you get into a STEM degree merely for career prospects, how would you be able to be motivated to suffer through 3 long years doing your degree as it becomes increasingly harder to keep up with the studies?

I'd say a mix of subjects you enjoy, and subjects good for career prospects is better than putting all your eggs in one basket.

Hey, I think English Literature and History are very interesting subjects. But I think I'll enjoy them a whole lot less when I'm struggling financially.

One can still read literature and history whilst studying STEM.
Original post by Zarp
Hey, I think English Literature and History are very interesting subjects. But I think I'll enjoy them a whole lot less when I'm struggling financially.

One can still read literature and history whilst studying STEM.

Fair enough, but what if you end up hating STEM after your degree?

Wouldn't all that effort at university be wasted?

Besides, the STEM shortage is a myth, I have read it countless times.
Especially in the US where they import foreign workers through the H1B visa.
I'm not sure about the UK, but I guess it's pretty much the same..

They pretend in the news that there is a "shortage" for STEM graduates, but what the shortage really is in, is for cheap STEM graduates who would work for peanuts.

But I still agree that STEM graduates have better prospects overl, but think about it man, think about the blood sweat and tears you would have to pour into the degree, only to become disillusioned with it after a certain period of time.

If I'm honest, there is almost no hope for graduates in the UK, this is because:
A: There are far, far too many graduates out there
B: There are too many people and "immigrants" I have to admit, the UK is simply overcrowded (And no, I'm not into UKIP that much really.)

Unless your degree is vocational and leads to a job, it's going to be very tough after someone graduates in this type of overcrowded and insanely competitive climate.

I honestly am already looking to emigrate, I can barely survive living here, I;m going to become homeless soon, but luckily I have found shared accommodation for now. My mum will have to wait for the council to try to help her though. :frown:
Reply 7
You're right - don't go to university if you don't think it'll help you. I recommend getting high grades in your a-levels (especially maths).

Don't think you have to go to university right now. People still go to uni in their 20s 30s etc. Build up your CV and try to get some employment and perhaps privately sit some alevels next year - but you must do well this year in a-level (I'm talking a*aa at least)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest