This discussion is closed.
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Woohoooo......
I can't wait to go to uni!!!!
20th September here i come freshers week!!

and i only have 72 days of work left between now and then
(suppose 72 is a lot but i will be counting them down!!)

Is everyone else really excitied about uni??!!
I know it sounds sad but i am looking forward to putting my brain back to good use after 2 gap years!! i think it might need waking up though so i am planning to do lots of summer reading!!
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If only I had a pound for every time i'd heard that :rolleyes:
- just to make u a little more excited! - University rules!
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daveo)
If only I had a pound for every time i'd heard that :rolleyes:
- just to make u a little more excited! - University rules!
yay!!!!!!!!!
*ruthiepoothie bursts with excitiement and makes a mess all over the floor*
samd294
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
where are you going ruthie? i know what you mean about the brain use, im gonna ask for a reading list really early and get myself up to speed. Im a little bit anxious about hte whole thing though, as the only reason im on a gap year is because i didnt like it the last time I went to uni (Durham NatSci this year). Im really hopeful and trying to be positive!
LoStInIdEaFlOoD
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
Woohoooo......
I can't wait to go to uni!!!!
20th September here i come freshers week!!

and i only have 72 days of work left between now and then
(suppose 72 is a lot but i will be counting them down!!)

Is everyone else really excitied about uni??!!
I know it sounds sad but i am looking forward to putting my brain back to good use after 2 gap years!! i think it might need waking up though so i am planning to do lots of summer reading!!
I partly want to take two gap years too, but everyone's so negative about it Do you regret it ? What did you do?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I llive at home and lets just say I like university so much I wish I could be there for ever!

It is very stressful though especialy at this time of year. The late nights studying (or in my case programming) get on top of you.
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
I am going to Birmingham to study Psychology, but i will probably be living at home as I only live 12 miles away..haven't decided yet...

Anyway, I didn't really choose to take 2 gap years...well i suppose i did- but it wasn't the ideal situation....
When i finished my A levels i thought i wanted to do a maths degree, and i had a place at birmingham to do it but then i thought long and hard about it and decided that i didn't think i was up to a maths degree (having only just scraped a B at a level and having got Ds and Es in my A2 modules :eek: ) so, I decided to take a gap year. The other two subjects I were interested in were psychology and law...but i wasn't really sure which would suit me best. As it happens, i stumbled accross a job in a solicitor's office- being an office junior for a year (they have a gap year person most years) and so i took the job....I really enjoyed my first few weeks there and so I applied to do law at uni...i applied to Leicester, Sheffield, Warwick, Birmingham, Kings College and Exeter. I got accepted everywhere apart from Warwick and Exeter...so then I had to make my choice...
I decided to accept Sheffield- mostly because people at work convinced me it was the best thing to do- not too far away but far enough to have independence...i thought that i had made the right decision for all concerned (including my long term bf of now 4 years and 3 months) but during the summer holidays i began to have serious doubts...i realised that i would not be able to see him in the week- i had always known this but it hadn't bothered me until then- and that i would have to put aside my weekends in order to see him....etc... anyway i decided that i had made the wrong decision and that i did not want to go to sheffield...so i cancelled my place there, backed out of my halls agreement etc 3 weeks before the start of term...my parents were very supportive after their initial reaction- once i had talked i through with them and convinced them that it was what i really wanted and that i wouldn't regret it....which i haven't....i phoned up birmingham to see if they would still accept me, but obviously they wouldn't....so i was faced with what to do next....i knew i definately wanted to go to uni, but that i wanted to stay close to home (and near to my bf- we had agreed that we would both stay local by this point)...i ended up taking a job working for his dad (which i am still doing now but wish i wasn't) and i decided to reapply to uni. I stil had interests in law and psychology, but thought that applying for law wouyld decrease my chances of getting in as i turned them down last year...so i applied for psychology to warwick, birmingham and aston. I got accepted at all 3- unconditional offers from birmingham and aston and a conditional from warwick. I had taken up A level psychology at the beginning of the year (a level in a year course) to keep my brain working, and warick wanted me to get an A in it....I decided that i didni't want the pressure of that, and so i accepted birmingham's offer....
and there you go!!

i am a bit nervous becuase i will be older than most of the others there but i think it will be fine and not an issue at all...i would encourage people to take a gap year beofre uni, as it will either make you realise uni is not for you, or it will make you more enthusiastic and eager to learn!! I really want to get a good degree now, and i'm not sure i would have done if i had gone 2 years ago...but it does put you a long way behind your mates- most of mine are finishing their 2nd years this year. Anyway, I am happy the way things turned out, but just wish that september would hurry up and come!!!
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)

i am a bit nervous becuase i will be older than most of the others there but i think it will be fine and not an issue at all...i would encourage people to take a gap year beofre uni, as it will either make you realise uni is not for you, or it will make you more enthusiastic and eager to learn!! I
I don't think anyone will notice and you might be suprised what the age range is. Most classes have one or two oldies. I'm 37 and no one even notices I'm older.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (72)
47.37%
Take exams next summer (28)
18.42%
Change uni choice through clearing (34)
22.37%
Apply to uni next year instead (14)
9.21%
I'm not applying to university (4)
2.63%

Watched Threads