The Student Room Group

Offer or invitation to treat ??

Hi guys i have some work and was just wondering if this is an offer or an invitation to treat and why
because most adverts are an ITT but i could still be an offer

DJ has advertised his CD collection in the local paper. The advert reads as follows:
“1,000 CDs for sale, £2,000 the lot. A wide variety of music, to suit all tastes and occasions. Change of business forces sale. Reply to me by the end of May.”
A business telephone number and address was then given.

Ant saw the advert and posted a letter stating that he would take all of the CDs for the price stated. He also asked if she could collect the CDs in two weeks time. The letter was posted on Friday 26th May. (Postal rule)

Louise telephoned on 29th May (Bank Holiday Monday), and left a voice mail on Gaz’s answer phone. This stated that she was accepting the offer of all of the CDs for the price given. (Unlikely to be accepted as bank holiday as voicemails are rarely checked maybe?) how ever it may be checked the next day

Donna sent a fax on Friday 26th May, which stated “I will take all of your CDs for £1,500.” (No leg to stand on) she did not choose the requested form of contact and secondly she made a counter offer which is lower then what the others have offered. However she reply before the end of May

thank you....
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Ads on the newspapers depends, but this one sounds like it's too cheap to be real, CDs retail for about £14, even reduced would never be as low as £2 each. To stay on the safe side, I'd recommend you to not interfere. It sounds a little fishy to me.....
Reply 2
im not buying cd's this is merely some uni work i need help with

Quick Reply