The Student Room Group

School is too "English" for Ofsted

More multicultural madness

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationopinion/11242533/Apparently-being-too-English-is-now-a-crime.html

Is a good trend for schools in Britain or not ?
Minorities actually perform better, but that's not the point is it ?

btw - to bypass the telegraph subscription service
right click
view page info
permissions
set cookies - allow for session
That's ridiculous.
I bet the school "coincidentally" has fantastic results, good behaviour etc.
Original post by Skip_Snip
I bet the school "coincidentally" has fantastic results, good behaviour etc.

There are several mostly white schools in my city which "coincidentally" failed ofsted.
When 97% of your community is composed of suspect white natives the opportunity for “first-hand interaction with their counterparts from different backgrounds beyond the immediate locality” are few and far between. The Market Rasen pupils are doubly handicapped because each and every one of them has English as his or her first language.

I think this quote sums up the issue here well. With only a 3% ethnic minority in the community, it seems feasible to me that there wouldn't be any ethnics in one school or another. That shouldn't be a problem in my view, unless the school is or has discriminated children from particular ethnic backgrounds. If no ethnic children have tried to go to this school at present or in the past, then the school is not at fault and should therefore not be penalised in this way. The issue is simply whether or not children from other cultures have been turned away, not necessarily for explicitly racial reasons.
Original post by Jews Did9.11
Same happens in America look up White's banned from diversity PSA and school band being too White. There is no place for White people, not even their homeland of Europe.Yet we, as White people are somehow demonised as privileged when we're being robbed of an EXISTENCE? Check your privilege coloured people.

Username 'Jews Did 9/11'?

White people being demonised?

What?
How is destroying and replacing a countries insidious population diversity?
Reply 7
what about schools with no white people?
I wonder if this kind of treatment has affected my old primary school. When I was there, there were essentially no minorities at all. Occasionally there would be but from what I remember they would all move away after a few years. Quite a lot of the kids there had parents in the TA so that wasn't unusual.

It's a pretty terrible excuse to mark a school down though - they can't help that there aren't many minorities in their catchment area so they shouldn't be penalised for it. They apparently teach their pupils about other cultures so I'd say they're adequately compensating for the local cultural homogeneity.
Original post by democracyforum

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationopinion/11242533/Apparently-being-too-English-is-now-a-crime.html

right click
view page info
permissions

In the article it doesn't say that Ofsted called the school "too English" (that's the journalist's interpretation); it said they were not sufficiently exposed to other cultural perspectives. This could mean anything: that the school isn't teaching other religions/religious perspectives, that they aren't looking at different countries and cultures in geography, that assemblies aren't taking the opportunity to discuss events in other countries or other religious/cultural festivals. I seriously doubt Ofsted expect schools to have control over the ethnic make-up of their catchment area. But hey, the Telegraph said it so it must be true.
Reply 10
Original post by sdotd
what about schools with no white people?

They're diverse. Diversity is the abscense of whites e.g. Japan and Nigeria are 100% diverse.
Original post by democracyforum

right click
view page info
permissions

There are many schools in East London which are 90%+ Asian...

are these sufficiently 'diverse'?
Original post by Zürich
There are many schools in East London which are 90%+ Asian...

are these sufficiently 'diverse'?

Yes, according to ofsted
Ukip must be laughing their cocks off.
Reply 14
One of the many reasons I'll be voting UKIP. Labour created this anti-English agenda, Tories pretend they care but do nothing, that leaves UKIP who are the only one who believe we can express national pride.
Well just look at Emily Thornberry- are you really surprised? Its her ilk which populate the civil service.
This is hilarious and needs changing immediately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending