Article: Students hit by an alarming lack of careers advice

Watch
shooks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The majority of school and college leavers are getting little or no advice, are sometimes directed towards the wrong A-levels, or receive incorrect information about which subjects to study for a chosen university degree, according to new research. Read more...
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Add university leavers onto that list as well.

It's disgusting how little attention my uni paid to careers advice. Some courses offered year long placements, my friends who did them are all pretty much sorted and they haven't even graduated yet. They're well off financially and have really good experience for their CV. However most of us didn't get a shred of useful information and we're all struggling post graduation, with no idea what to do for a career and seemingly no help available.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
Add university leavers onto that list as well.

It's disgusting how little attention my uni paid to careers advice.
Same here. It was a case of "well done - now **** off" at mine.
karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think that students also have the responsibility of researching stuff themselves. They can't expect to be given everything. :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by karmacrunch)
I think that students also have the responsibility of researching stuff themselves. They can't expect to be given everything. :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No one is expecting to be given everything. There is difference between giving everything and giving nothing. And in most cases, universities give nothing. Unless, you count general how-to-get-a-job advice as something, but then again that is something that you can get from a book on Amazon for less than £5.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
No one is expecting to be given everything. There is difference between giving everything and giving nothing. And in most cases, universities give nothing. Unless, you count general how-to-get-a-job advice as something, but then again that is something that you can get from a book on Amazon for less than £5.
Agree 100%.
karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
Oh yes, I agree with that! I probably should have made my point clearer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not surprised.........do not trust anyone from your school to give you advice. It's most likely their advice is way outdated.
You gotta be researching it yourself......another failure of schools is of telling there students that they should be looking into university choice when looking to pick A-levels so they do not end up with the wrong A-levels.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Absolutely correct. I went to the school's career advisor once and the only thing we achieved in my 1 hour meeting was establishing how my A-Levels will help me in a career working at a supermarket. Utterly useless. Fortunately, I didn't need the advice in the first place but lots of people do.
Commercial Paper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think a lot of the time, schools have alarmingly low expectations of their students, even the top ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
paniking_and_not_revising
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My school had no careers advice whatsoever, apart from a 3 minute quiz that told me my dream job was careers counsellor. LMAO

My colleges had awful careers advice. Like it was basically, "ooh look you have a levels so go to uni and leave me alone because i'm on my lunch break"

My university is like this: "Get a 2:1 and you might find a pretty good job as a secretary where you'll earn minimum wage. Please pick up a leaflet outside called "Finding your dream career" that will be highly patronising and useless "
Collaborator
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"Students hit by an alarming lack of careers advice"

Perhaps a better title could have been chosen. If there is a lack of careers advice, then they aren't really being hit by anything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads