A Level French

Watch this thread
Sloom
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello Everyone,

So i'm a year 11 student curious about doing A-Level French. Would just like to know people's experience of doing French. If you guys do A Level AQA or Edexcel French, can you tell me how is/was it? Plus, how was the course and the exams, and was it difficult? Plus, did you google translate some of your work :P~weird question i know l
schindlers list
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Schu98)
Hello Everyone,

So i'm a year 11 student curious about doing A-Level French. Would just like to know people's experience of doing French. If you guys do A Level AQA or Edexcel French, can you tell me how is/was it? Plus, how was the course and the exams, and was it difficult? Plus, did you google translate some of your work :P~weird question i know l
Gg

What u on abt
peaaceandl0ve
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Schu98)
Hello Everyone,

Hey! I do AQA German, which follows the same syllabus.

At AS the topics undoubtedly get much more meatier & interesting than at GCSE - such as debating the role of media & technology in our lives, discussing the causes of and responses to eating disorders etc.

One major leap is the grammar - it gets a bit crazy!

Lessons generally take the form of discussion - in our clas sthere were six for AS and now five for A2. We push the tables together so we can sit round and debate topics & generally do lots of speaking-based activities - essays are just kept for homework.

The exams take the form of a 15min speaking exam, on one topic that you will prepared and on three other topics taken randomly from a group of nine - meaning you can't just memorise & regurgitate a passage like at GCSE. The other exam is listening/reading/writing all in one, and lasts two hours. It includes four reading & four listening questions, which are short answers/sentences/multiple choice You then answer one essay from a choice of three.

If you have any specific questions then feel free to post them

I hope this helps!!
Toriar
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I do AQA French, I'm doing A2 atm. It's really fun and I'd highly recommend it if you're enjoying French GCSE. I wouldn't necessarily say it's difficult, just extremely time-consuming as you really need to keep using your language skills so you don't forget them. I did use google translate at the start of AS because I was really awful and couldn't write my own stuff, but now I can do it from my own knowledge and some help from wordreference or a dictionary. It's a lot different to GCSE because you can't just learn a page of text and then repeat it for the exam, you actually have to have a proper conversation in the speaking exam and write an essay in the listening, reading and writing exam. Don't be scared of it though, you will do loads of practice over the year to help you prepare.
Sower1
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I did French at AS level and it was really good. Completely different to GCSE and it requires you to do a lot of work outside class to keep up with your knowledge and language skills
I felt that in the year my French really improved and its really enjoyable
ArnoldPygmePuff
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by peaaceandl0ve)
Hey! I do AQA German, which follows the same syllabus.

At AS the topics undoubtedly get much more meatier & interesting than at GCSE - such as debating the role of media & technology in our lives, discussing the causes of and responses to eating disorders etc.

One major leap is the grammar - it gets a bit crazy!

Lessons generally take the form of discussion - in our clas sthere were six for AS and now five for A2. We push the tables together so we can sit round and debate topics & generally do lots of speaking-based activities - essays are just kept for homework.

The exams take the form of a 15min speaking exam, on one topic that you will prepared and on three other topics taken randomly from a group of nine - meaning you can't just memorise & regurgitate a passage like at GCSE. The other exam is listening/reading/writing all in one, and lasts two hours. It includes four reading & four listening questions, which are short answers/sentences/multiple choice You then answer one essay from a choice of three.

If you have any specific questions then feel free to post them

I hope this helps!!
Hi I read you are doing AQA German. Me too, but I'm really struggling I keep doing so badly on my essays. My teacher is not very good. I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing.

Do you or anyone else on here have a good example essay. I would be so grateful if you could give me one. I know some people are so clever, I wish I was like you! Please help me !

Danke!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (146)
42.2%
Not yet, but I will soon (63)
18.21%
No (137)
39.6%

Watched Threads