The Student Room Group

bereavement- interruption of studies?

My mother passed away two weeks ago and I'm not sure if I will be able to return to complete the rest of the year both due to the bereavement and I have missed a lot of the start of the course due to either being in hospital myself or otherwise juggling visiting my mum in hospital with lectures.The other issue is that I have no other family so there are a lot of practical issues involved such as making sure I can continuing living in the same property as she was the tenancy holder.

I am currently in my first year of uni.

what exactly is interruption of studies?
what is the effect of taking this on student finance, uni bursaries and DSA?

thanks
Original post by simi89
My mother passed away two weeks ago and I'm not sure if I will be able to return to complete the rest of the year both due to the bereavement and I have missed a lot of the start of the course due to either being in hospital myself or otherwise juggling visiting my mum in hospital with lectures.The other issue is that I have no other family so there are a lot of practical issues involved such as making sure I can continuing living in the same property as she was the tenancy holder.

thanks

not sure how to answer the first question as its pretty self explanatory. You can't get student finance or uni bursaries once you've interrupted the course nor can you get most benefits (disability ones might be different but you can't get JSA)
Original post by simi89

thanks

Sorry for your loss.:frown:Its more like an interruption of life in my opinion. My mum died when I was right in the middle of GCSEs I had to storm on like a trooper and just get on with it I've learnt life isn't kind. They said in my school I could have ages of I took 2 days + funeral.
So interruption of studies is the time they give you to bereave in this case.

I'd say get help from a councillor don't they will guide you with money etc.
I never got outside help before but I had family do you have any distant relations?

I've got an example a girl in a levels in my year her sister died and she failed badly in the end because she moaned and blamed her failures on the death of her sister and became addicted to anti depressants tried to kill herself etc. She took ages off(didn't come in most days or even on the days she came in she was late)

I urge you not to become this person. It will just literally ruin your life but I can tell by your writing your probably one of the strong independent ones. :smile:

With regards to benefits etc. you should get more money now due to no parental (family) income (rather have life than money tbh) the government isn't kind on the bereaved.....
With the house in question you could get you and your mates to live there and pay the bills or rent the property out if you can get a lease on it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest