Катя
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Slowly going mad here.

Have offers for both. (Both degrees are joint honours with Chinese, btw.)

Leeds is undoubtedly more prestigious, but it's so far away from London.

Goldsmiths has a more chill atmosphere, and it has a 24/7 library, and it's in London. But its rankings are awful.

My family and boyfriend and all my friends are in London, so I'm very reluctant to leave and go so far up north.

Some advice, please?
Катя
Rep:
?
Somebody, please. I'll do anything in return for some help. I can't concentrate on anything.
Pulse.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Economics at Leeds. You've already said why.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Катя
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pulse.)
Economics at Leeds. You've already said why.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But the distance and the, ugh, everything else...
Катя
Rep:
?
Anyone else? Please?

Does basing university choice around family / relationships usually backfire?

Posted from TSR Mobile
yabbayabba
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What is International Studies? The course name sounds iffy.
Катя
Rep:
?
(Original post by yabbayabba)
What is International Studies? The course name sounds iffy.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. From what I've gathered, it's basically politics and some sociology. Meh.

I'd to go Leeds to study Chinese and Economics without any second thoughts whatsoever if it wasn't for my, uh, "significant other" and family (who are all London-based).
yabbayabba
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Катя)
Yeah, that's what I thought too. From what I've gathered, it's basically politics and some sociology. Meh.

I'd to go Leeds to study Chinese and Economics without any second thoughts whatsoever if it wasn't for my, uh, "significant other" and family (who are all London-based).
Employers may be a bit confused about your degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People leave their families for uni all the time and plenty of students are in long distance relationships. I'd go for Leeds, not just because it's a better uni but the course name is far clearer. Or apply for Chinese and Economics at a London uni
Катя
Rep:
?
Employers may be a bit confused about your degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People leave their families for uni all the time and plenty of students are in long distance relationships. I'd go for Leeds, not just because it's a better uni but the course name is far clearer. Or apply for Chinese and Economics at a London uni
I might just, tbh.

In terms of Leeds vs SOAS, is there that much difference? Reputation, "prestige" (as much as I hate those two words), etc?
yabbayabba
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Катя)
I might just, tbh.

In terms of Leeds vs SOAS, is there that much difference? Reputation, "prestige" (as much as I hate those two words), etc?
Have you got an offer from SOAS too? Honestly, don't buy into the whole prestige thing - it's not *that* important in the grand scheme of things. Obviously get into the best uni you can, but also be happy where you are.

If you've got an offer from SOAS for Chinese and Economics and you really want to stay in London, go there. Not a huge amount of difference between SOAS and Leeds I don't think, even though Leeds is a little more prestigious.
Катя
Rep:
?
Have you got an offer from SOAS too? Honestly, don't buy into the whole prestige thing - it's not *that* important in the grand scheme of things. Obviously get into the best uni you can, but also be happy where you are.

If you've got an offer from SOAS for Chinese and Economics and you really want to stay in London, go there. Not a huge amount of difference between SOAS and Leeds I don't think, even though Leeds is a little more prestigious.
Not from SOAS, no. I applied for Chinese and IR there, but I'm still waiting - I guess I could always ask to transfer? Either way they've had spaces in Clearing for basically everything except Law for the last 3 years straight (...although now that I think of it, that's kind of worrying).
GandalfWhite
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Катя)
Not from SOAS, no. I applied for Chinese and IR there, but I'm still waiting - I guess I could always ask to transfer? Either way they've had spaces in Clearing for basically everything except Law for the last 3 years straight (...although now that I think of it, that's kind of worrying).
Leeds unless you get SOAS offer, which you can then change course later, if you wish.
Катя
Rep:
?
(Original post by GandalfWhite)
Leeds unless you get SOAS offer, which you can then change course later, if you wish.
Thanks man, I think that's what I'll do.

Is SOAS more prestigious than Leeds?

Posted from TSR Mobile
GandalfWhite
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Катя)
Thanks man, I think that's what I'll do.

Is SOAS more prestigious than Leeds?

Posted from TSR Mobile
SOAS is a different kind of university from Leeds. One cannot say it is more or less prestigious. It is different because of its focus and that's also where its strength and uniqueness lie. Go read their profile.
Катя
Rep:
?
(Original post by GandalfWhite)
SOAS is a different kind of university from Leeds. One cannot say it is more or less prestigious. It is different because of its focus and that's also where its strength and uniqueness lie. Go read their profile.
I know what they're both like in terms of their atmosphere, but I just worry that a degree from Leeds will look a lot more solid than one from SOAS.

Especially given the fact that I'll probably end up sticking with Chinese & IR at SOAS, whereas my offer for Leeds is for Chinese & Economics.
GandalfWhite
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought one of your criteria is to stay in London because friends and family are there. And, so it was more about finding a good university in London. Otherwise, just go Leeds ... but there are QMUL, RHUL, Reading ... many more very nearby universities, right?
Катя
Rep:
?
(Original post by ParetoOptimum)
Economics at Leeds. Economics is a rigorous, traditional and well-respected degree subject. Whereas international studies... what is that exactly? Sounds like a multidisciplinary mish-mash of things... I mean, the core traditional social sciences are multidisciplinary enough. Leeds is also the more highly regarded than Goldsmiths. Your "pro" points for Goldsmiths are quite funny in how lame they are (chill atmosphere, 24/7 library) - that just says it all
Fair enough, especially the last sentence - thanks - I just needed some sense kicked into me that's all
GandalfWhite
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Going to university away from home is a great experience. Most international students will tell you that it is a defining moment of their lives which sets them different in many ways from their friends who did not venture away.
lauraforneris1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Катя)
Hello I applied to IR and Chinese as well but I'm still waiting for their decision! I have a doubt about the course, maybe you could help me! Do you know whether the second year is compulsory abroad even for students of combined courses or if it is just for people studying only Chinese?
.ACS.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Катя)
To be honest, it is clear from your posts that ultimately you would rather go to Leeds and study Economics with Chinese. In said case, just do it.

That said, I do want to give a caution- do not choose Leeds or let yourself think it is amazing because of the rankings. What is more important is you like the atmosphere of the city, you like the course you are studying (you want to want to get out of bed and go to lectures, if you see what I mean) and also the all-round experience it will give you.

If you think Leeds is best for you based on this, and not league table rankings, then go for it. Otherwise, maybe Goldsmiths is better for you, or consider applying to SOAS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads