Engineering Lab Report - Discussion and Results Sections Advice Please

Watch this thread
jamie3009
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I have to write some lab reports for some experiments I have carried out and would like to know whether I should place any text in the results section, or simply place all my results tables here and then refer to them in a separate section called discussion? The reason I ask is because in some journal papers I have looked at, they sometimes discuss the results in the results section and then have a second section called discussion where no reference to results is made. In others I have seen, all reference to results is made in a separate section called 'Discussion', and the section called results is simply a load of tables etc? I'm just a tad confused as last year I had to do a report for the same lecturer and I did a section called 'Results and Discussions' and he said to separate the two, yet on a piece of advice paper he has given us, he has put to use sections called 'Presentation and discussion of results', followed by another section called 'discussion'?

Thanks
AeroM
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
In the results section I would include the tables and figures, with a short discussion of what they mean; for example, do your graphs show that there exists a linear relationship between the variables you used in your experiment? Are there any anomalous results?

The discussion section ought to be more detailed and may perhaps discuss why the variables are proportional. Do your experimental results agree with any analytically-derived relationships? If not, why might this be? Is there any uncertainty in your results?

It might help to think of the results section as "what" and the discussion section as "why".
Bhups
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Usually journals have thier own specific formats, in which results and discussion are either presented as one section or two seperate sections depending on the journal in question. In this case, it might be best just to clarify with you lecturer as to what 'Presentation and discussion of results' and 'discussion' actually contain (having the extra discussion section seems a little redundant to me).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (73)
41.48%
They're exactly what I expected (40)
22.73%