The Student Room Group

Will this be enough to put on my personal statement for medicine?

I want to know if I will have enough points to talk about on my personal statement and what areas are the best to talk about for when I apply next September. Any extras that you would recommend would be highly appreciated!

-I am currently volunteering in a charity shop every Saturday.
-I have done one week work experience in a nursing home, and have got 2 separate weeks of hospital work experience (consultant shadowing etc.) booked for Christmas and Easter.
-I am grade 7 at piano.
-I came first in one area at the national science and engineering competition for my study of mitotic inhibitors. Does this tick the early interest into medicine/science area?
-I might be starting voluntary work in a hospice when I have done the charity shop for over 6 months. Would you recommend this?

I just want to know if there are any other things I can do that would be beneficial towards my application to medicine. Any tips would be great!

Thanks
This sounds great and will really enhance your application. Just remember to say what skills these experiences have given you, what you have learnt from them and how these things will help you at university and as a doctor. I would also recommend including something about any clinical skills or procedures that you may have observed, and also include a paragraph about your current academic studies, such as what subjects you have enjoyed most and why, and how your experience at college has prepared you for studying at degree level. Good luck!

I have just sent off my application for adult nursing and have given you the advice that I was given when writing my personal statement. I have also done work experience in a hospice, and was given a fantastic opportunity to shadow different teams within the hospice. So writing about the hospice would be valuable to your personal statement, and would really impress the admissions tutors. They always look for people who stand out, and not many people have the opportunity to volunteer or do work experience in a hospice.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I think the hospice would be more beneficial volunteering than the charity shop, tbh. The rest of it looks ok - do you have any other extra-curriculars?
Reply 3
Original post by Jillianmckeith
I want to know if I will have enough points to talk about on my personal statement and what areas are the best to talk about for when I apply next September. Any extras that you would recommend would be highly appreciated!

-I am currently volunteering in a charity shop every Saturday.
-I have done one week work experience in a nursing home, and have got 2 separate weeks of hospital work experience (consultant shadowing etc.) booked for Christmas and Easter.
-I am grade 7 at piano.
-I came first in one area at the national science and engineering competition for my study of mitotic inhibitors. Does this tick the early interest into medicine/science area?
-I might be starting voluntary work in a hospice when I have done the charity shop for over 6 months. Would you recommend this?

I just want to know if there are any other things I can do that would be beneficial towards my application to medicine. Any tips would be great!

Thanks

There is no reason whatsoever to stay with the charity shop if you can start at a hospice whenever. Charity shop is like the last resort for people who can't get actually relevant experience in a caring role. It may not help your application at all. Don't waste time there if you have other options.

I'm not sure there's an 'early interest' tickbox. Someone who decided they wanted to do Medicine when they were 6 would have no advantage over someone who decided in Year 12.
Thanks for all the responses. I originally decided to do the charity shop work because a lot of sources suggested it would be beneficial for the application as it demonstrated lots of different skills? I have handed in my details to a local hospice, but they said it could be a few months until I could be given a placement. I think I'll continue with the charity shop until I get offered a placement.
Original post by Ronove
There is no reason whatsoever to stay with the charity shop if you can start at a hospice whenever. Charity shop is like the last resort for people who can't get actually relevant experience in a caring role. It may not help your application at all. Don't waste time there if you have other options.

I'm not sure there's an 'early interest' tickbox. Someone who decided they wanted to do Medicine when they were 6 would have no advantage over someone who decided in Year 12.

I remember reading about how some universities like evidence that you've showed or had an interest into science/medicine outside of school? I think it was an Oxford related page but I cannot remeber, I just thought it might be worth mentioning?
Reply 6
Original post by Jillianmckeith
I remember reading about how some universities like evidence that you've showed or had an interest into science/medicine outside of school? I think it was an Oxford related page but I cannot remeber, I just thought it might be worth mentioning?

It is, but that's because it's showing an interest outside school, NOT because it shows an "early interest."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending