Who to do Distance learning A-Levels with?

Watch
Ty96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm looking to do some distance learning A-Levels (as I have none) but don't know who to go with, all of the ones I seem to find have reviews saying to "steer clear", and "not to bother", so I am really unsure of who to go with.
I would preferably like to do Business Studies initially but would then look to do Geography then one in a technical area (computing) if there are any that do a distance learning on it (could you advise if you know any?)

your input on this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ty
Pixsoul
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A lot of people find that they sign up to study an ALevel with a distance learning provider and then feel that they should have simply purchased a textbook and studied that way.

To be honest, that's pretty much what you would receive from a DL provider - they will send you a folder of materials which will contain information on the topics you'll need to learn and should also have some activities which you could send to a tutor for marking. These activities do not usually count towards your final Alevel as you'll need to take the exams.

In most cases when you sign up for an alevel with a DL provider, you'll need to find a centre (e.g. a school or college) near you who accept external candidates that you can go to for the exams - the provider should be able to give you a list, but if not, the awarding organisation will. The fees for this are usually paid directly to the centre (not the distance learning provider) and are therefore in addition to the fees you would have already paid when signing up for the course. On this basis, it may be worth looking into how much it would cost to take the exams at your local college (if they offer them) as it may be cheaper to do it this way, if they do (and if it fits around your schedule).

Also, check the small print if you do sign up for a course with a distance learning provider. Only a few of them actually have the alevel materials themselves - the rest buy them in (so you could sign up for a course with Provider A, but they will get Provider B to send the materials out to you) - so you could also end up paying more for a course that you could have purchased cheaper directly (many have a 7 day return policy, but again, check the T&Cs as this doesn't apply to online materials that you download).
jkb1955
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The other issue before you start is to find an exam centre where you can sit the exams - and check which board you can do. Even if you do go with a distance learning provider ( and tbh, I agree that many aren't worth the money) there is no pint in choosing a course, studying it and then finding there is no exam centre for that board with in a 100 miles!

Many students find they can do just as well with the set textbooks for the syllabus and working on your own, perhaps paying for a few hours private tuition near the end to check your exam technique...
Davidswift9
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Never study with any distance learning except Open Uni but they don't do A-levels.

What you need to do is go into your local colleges, private sixth form colleges and private schools (which can be quite small, a few rooms) and ask them if they except private external candidates and ask how much they charge to book you in for an exam only. Price them up and go with the cheapest. Mine was around £300 for A2+AS exam in July for two subjects and one included a 3 hour assessed experiment. Note deadlines are Feb/March to be booked in for July, but some schools maybe different!

Then go on youtube, look at tutorials, go on amazon buy books and revision guides... (or download them) and google free past exam papers. If you are competent I'm sure you can plan your studies and save a boat load of money doing it yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (385)
56.78%
I don't have everything I need (293)
43.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise