The Student Room Group

| ln (x) |

When I put dy/dx equal to zero for the modulus of ln x I get 1/0? Even though I know there should be one at 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Physics4Life
When I put dy/dx equal to zero for the modulus of ln x I get 1/0? Even though I know there should be one at 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the function is not differentiable at the cusp!
the tangent at that point is not unique

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, the gradient at that "cusp", at the point (1,0), isn't 0.
Reply 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

you have rearranged wrong I think..

1/x=0
swap denominator and numerator on both sides and you get
x=0
Original post by Lowerty
you have rearranged wrong I think..

1/x=0
swap denominator and numerator on both sides and you get
x=0

The problem with doing that is that you are dividing by zero, and division by zero is undefined.

1/x=0 does not have a solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you saying that their should be a gradient at (1,0)? Interestingly, this is not the case.

To expand on what TeeEm said, you know that the derivative at a point is equal to the gradient of the tangent to the curve at that point. However if you try and draw a tangent that the point (1,0), you'll get two possible tangents. Because the tangents are different, the derivative does not exist at the point (1,0).
Original post by ThatPerson
The problem with doing that is that you are dividing by zero, and division by zero is undefined.

Are you saying that their should be a gradient at (1,0)? Interestingly, this is not the case.

To expand on what TeeEm said, you know that the derivative at a point is equal to the gradient of the tangent to the curve at that point. However if you try and draw a tangent that the point (1,0), you'll get two possible tangents. Because the tangents are different, the derivative does not exist at the point (1,0).

So that means that it has no minimum stationary point then? Even though that is the lowest point?
So that means that it has no minimum stationary point then? Even though that is the lowest point?

Consider as another example the function y=xy=x, but where we only look at the domain x0x \geq 0. That has a minimum at 0, but it's *not* a stationary point - the function isn't even differentiable there, and it has right-derivative 1, not 0. The derivative only really makes sense "in the middle of intervals", not at endpoints.
Reply 7

As yet another example, y = |x| has its minimum at x = 0, but the function is not differentiable at that point - if you try to draw a tangent line there you could in principle draw it at any angle to the sharp point of the graph!
Thanks for clearing this up for me guys :smile: you all helped a lot :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ThatPerson

Ah that makes sense. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest