The Student Room Group

Law, Economics or History?! Help me decide!

Hi!

I am really struggling to decide on which course to take... I am going to be studying at a New Zealand Uni but plan on coming back to the UK after graduating to work.
In NZ, you can take a 'Bachelor of Arts' in History, a 'Bachelor of Commerce' in Economics or a 'Bachelor of Laws' (in addition to others ofcourse...) I want to enrol in a 'double degree', meaning I complete two bachelor degrees during my time. However, which two to take is the big question!

The Law/History or Law/Economics combo will take me 5 years to complete, whereas the History/Economics duo will take me 4 years. I am still yet to decide which direction I want to head as a career but am leaning towards something in the government.

I was just wondering if any of you lovely people could shine any light on the courses you chose and their employability at the end of it! Is it worth studying an extra year to get a Law Degree or not if I am not dead set on going into Law as a profession?

Any help would be much appreciated as enrolments are due next week! :P

Thanks heaps! :smile:
Original post by Florrie
Hi!

I am really struggling to decide on which course to take... I am going to be studying at a New Zealand Uni but plan on coming back to the UK after graduating to work.
In NZ, you can take a 'Bachelor of Arts' in History, a 'Bachelor of Commerce' in Economics or a 'Bachelor of Laws' (in addition to others ofcourse...) I want to enrol in a 'double degree', meaning I complete two bachelor degrees during my time. However, which two to take is the big question!

The Law/History or Law/Economics combo will take me 5 years to complete, whereas the History/Economics duo will take me 4 years. I am still yet to decide which direction I want to head as a career but am leaning towards something in the government.

I was just wondering if any of you lovely people could shine any light on the courses you chose and their employability at the end of it! Is it worth studying an extra year to get a Law Degree or not if I am not dead set on going into Law as a profession?

Any help would be much appreciated as enrolments are due next week! :P

Thanks heaps! :smile:

If you are thinking of a career in the government, you should study Economics. Both History and Law would be of use, and complement Economics. However, if you are not interested in going into Law as a profession, you may find the Law course to be slightly boring (and a waste of an extra year). But do remember that studying Law doesn't mean that you have to become a Lawyer: in government Law would be very useful. I believe that regarding job prospects, an Economics/Law degree would open more doors than a joint History degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending