Ecological/External validity in social influence Watch

ammie0206
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've been set an essay on the methodological issues that might arise when studying social influence, but can someone explain to me
- what the difference between external and ecological validity is (Google is only making things more confusing )
- how these might affect studies into social influence

thanks very much!
philerus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is this a general social influence essay, or do you have to discuss specific factors?
ammie0206
Rep:
?
(Original post by philerus)
Is this a general social influence essay, or do you have to discuss specific factors?
I only have to talk about external, ecological and internal validity (the methodological issues only make up half of the essay, the rest is on ethical issues)
philerus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ammie0206)
I only have to talk about external, ecological and internal validity (the methodological issues only make up half of the essay, the rest is on ethical issues)
The easiest way to define adn sperate the two would be to define external validity as the ability of the results of the study to generalise a phenomenon, by infering a conclusion from the samples and applying it to the actual world. Ecological validity is an independent from external validity, and refers to how similar the experimental conditions are to the actual world in terms of perception (think aboutthe importance of procedure in trying to simulate a real jury in a mock trial). In most cases, increased ecological validity can lead to more acccurate external validity, but the that might not always be the case as the two my be seperate.

I hope this helps. If not, try read through this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_validity
ammie0206
Rep:
?
The easiest way to define adn sperate the two would be to define external validity as the ability of the results of the study to generalise a phenomenon, by infering a conclusion from the samples and applying it to the actual world. Ecological validity is an independent from external validity, and refers to how similar the experimental conditions are to the actual world in terms of perception (think aboutthe importance of procedure in trying to simulate a real jury in a mock trial). In most cases, increased ecological validity can lead to more acccurate external validity, but the that might not always be the case as the two my be seperate.

I hope this helps. If not, try read through this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_validity
So external validity is the mundane realism of the results of the study whereas ecological validity refers to the mundane realism of the experimental conditions?
philerus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, I love tne way you summarised that.
ammie0206
Rep:
?
Yes, I love tne way you summarised that.
Thank you so much!
Now I can actually start this essay...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (112)
19.24%
Labour (296)
50.86%
Liberal Democrats (75)
12.89%
Green Party (30)
5.15%
Brexit Party (7)
1.2%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.52%
SNP (13)
2.23%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.52%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.03%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)