Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ++Hex++)
    Trees make friends?
    Oh yeah, they have little parties at night when nobody's looking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Wierd. So is it only me who can then?
    Iluvatar Tree-friend?

ReputationRep:
    what if you watch all the trees in the amazon falling down from a sattelite (but there is noone in the vicinity). do they make a sound?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    what if you watch all the trees in the amazon falling down from a sattelite (but there is noone in the vicinity). do they make a sound?
    Then you've got too much time on your hands

ReputationRep:
    There is a reamarkable amount of physics behind this question which evolves centrally around the principle; things only exist if you can see them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    There is a reamarkable amount of physics behind this question which evolves centrally around the principle; things only exist if you can see them.
    which was a basis of general relativity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    They'd make a sound inaudible to your ear...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    What kind of natural disaster would cause all the trees in the Amazon to fall down?

ReputationRep:
    What kind of natural disaster would cause all the trees in the Amazon to fall down?
    a philosopher's expedition gone wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    a philosopher's expedition gone wrong.
    Lol. But then surely there would be someone there? Namely, the philosopher that's knocking down the trees.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. But then surely there would be someone there? Namely, the philosopher that's knocking down the trees.
    and if the philosopher was deaf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Oh yeah, they have little parties at night when nobody's looking.
    And do they make any sounds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    and if the philosopher was deaf?
    Tough one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Exactly !! Indeed some 'Physicists' do believe that if you look at a light bulb and then close your eyes - that the lightbulb is no longer producing light/existing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Exactly !! Indeed some 'Physicists' do believe that if you look at a light bulb and then close your eyes - that the lightbulb is no longer producing light/existing.
    Thats easily disproved. Set up a video camera pointing at the bulb so that a persons eyes are also visible, set it to record, let the person shut their eyes.... you can see the point...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    Thats easily disproved. Set up a video camera pointing at the bulb so that a persons eyes are also visible, set it to record, let the person shut their eyes.... you can see the point...
    Let me change what I said from 'you' to an observer..

ReputationRep:
    The subjects been covered in pretty much everybook Ive read to do with quantum mechanics/relativity..you should buy one and have a read..its quite interesting

ReputationRep:
    What, because the waveform only collapses when you're looking at the cat, I mean, lightbulb?

ReputationRep:
    Let me change what I said from 'you' to an observer..
    Fair enough...

ReputationRep:
    seeing is believing, but believing is seeing. For every truth and fact there is the possibility of it being subject to a paradigm shift and science, as per other subjects too, is by no means positively concrete evidence for our reality. You can't see soundwaves and atoms, but the scientific method of investigation is regarded as pretty thorough. if soundwaves do exist then itll probably make a sound to all the little squirrels and stuff! hehe i havent really considered the alternative possibilities to scientific theories, but theres always the matrix idea! like maybe we are programmed to see and hear certain things and the theories and formulations developed stem from a statistical analytical attempt to determine collective, unknown phenomenon. but hey who knows...anythings possible! i know i sometimes only see and hear only what i want to, but I don't consciously mean to and i find it puzzling that i can zone in and wake up from my daydreams just when certain words are mentioned. Love proves blindness can be a state of consciousness because you don't notice things going on right in front of you. Religion is blind faith, but its stronger than religion, which proves people will believe based on tradition and fear of change and the unknown.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.