The Student Room Group

How Much Math Is In Chemistry?

Hey Guys! I am in year 11 and in the process of choosing my A-Levels.
What I will be taking is:
1.) Chemistry
2.) Biology
3.) Maths
4.) Economics (AS)

I was just wondering. How much math actually is there in Chemistry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adeel Ali
Hey Guys! I am in year 11 and in the process of choosing my A-Levels.
What I will be taking is:
1.) Chemistry
2.) Biology
3.) Maths
4.) Economics (AS)

I was just wondering. How much math actually is there in Chemistry?

There is a fair amount but most of it is fairly simple, following through calculations and formulas
It's not that difficult
There's a good book, calculations for a level chemistry if you find it a bit hard
In A-levels, not that much. The maths is quite simple I find, certainly in year one. It's easier than the maths in your maths A-level.
You'll find the maths gets more difficult at degree level.
Reply 3
I'm hoping there is lots. Maths is my forte.
Do you think economics is a good fourth choice?
I want to go into science and well.. It isn't sciencey.
I just want an easy 'A' that is also respected. Is this the right choice?
Quite a lot of writing involved with economics, essay questions and stuff in the exams. From what I've seen it looks very interesting, and is certainly better than computing AS, the subject I filled a gap with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you enjoy the maths why not take further maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
economics as an easy A? good luck haha
Reply 7
Original post by TheAlfie3000
If you enjoy the maths why not take further maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have considered this. But wouldn't I be 'limiting' my scope?
Reply 8
Original post by H-Barca
economics as an easy A? good luck haha

I have a genuine interest in economics. Which i'm hoping will make it easier?
You'll do better if you enjoy it, but won't necessarily make it easier. I don't think you're limiting yourself at all doing FM, you're obviously not likely to switch to humanities or something, but if you wanted to go more financial than scientific then the extra maths will probably get you further than economics .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by TheAlfie3000
You'll do better if you enjoy it, but won't necessarily make it easier. I don't think you're limiting yourself at all doing FM, you're obviously not likely to switch to humanities or something, but if you wanted to go more financial than scientific then the extra maths will probably get you further than economics .

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do have a point. The only thing is. How much harder is FM than Economics. I'm thinking a fair bit. But hey, I don't have a clue. Did you take FM?
Well I did A level Chemistry, and I would say that the maths part is about 30-40%,

and keep in mind, the maths is not really that advanced, just using formula's and maybe the occasional algebra here and there. But no differentiation, integration or anything.

Also please, please, please choose the A levels you enjoy first!
Then choose the ones that keep your options open.

I made the mistake of choosing very hard science and maths A levels, not mainly because I enjoyed them, but because I thought it would "prepare" for future "career prospects", I failed terrible and got the lowest grades you could possibly get for all the subjects.

So I'm warning you really, doing something you don't enjoy can come at a very heavy price.
Reply 12
I am currently doing AS Levels and I have the exact same subject combination!
For chemistry , the Maths is very simple... don't worry about it.
For economics if you think that it's an easy A then I am afraid you are very wrong...
I have considered this. But wouldn't I be 'limiting' my scope?

Definitely not.

Physics would be more helpful than economics or biology tbh.
Reply 14
Original post by iSL97
I am currently doing AS Levels and I have the exact same subject combination!
For chemistry , the Maths is very simple... don't worry about it.
For economics if you think that it's an easy A then I am afraid you are very wrong...

Uh oh. Well, can I ask how much work do you put into it compared to your other options? The same or less? And what grades are you getting?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Definitely not.

Physics would be more helpful than economics or biology tbh.

I don't understand how your measuring helpful? I enjoy biology which is why I'm not changing it. Also I wanted a fourth slightly 'easier' or perhaps even different subject. Just to give me that variety?
Reply 16
Uh oh. Well, can I ask how much work do you put into it compared to your other options? The same or less? And what grades are you getting?

I am currently on track for getting AABB but obviously aiming for AAAA at the end of the year. Well currently I am finding Biology and Chemistry easy, but I am finding maths and economics the hardest. The workload for maths in particular is huge.

Hope that helped !
I don't understand how your measuring helpful? I enjoy biology which is why I'm not changing it. Also I wanted a fourth slightly 'easier' or perhaps even different subject. Just to give me that variety?

Useful for Chemistry.

Variety isn't needed tbh, I don't understand why people think it makes them more desirable.
I'm hoping there is lots. Maths is my forte.
Do you think economics is a good fourth choice?
I want to go into science and well.. It isn't sciencey.
I just want an easy 'A' that is also respected. Is this the right choice?

I'd recommend changing biology and economics for further maths and physics. I think this would be beneficial to you regardless of whether you want to do economics, maths, engineering or a science at university (obvious exception: biology).
Reply 19
I would prefer to have the chance to go into medicine if I get good grades. Which is why I need both Chemistry and Biology. I might, just might be thinking of changing economics to FM. Depending on which sixth form accept me. One do not offer economics. BTW how much harder is FM compared to normal A Level Math. Anybody do both and have any experience?

Quick Reply

Latest