Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys i'm a gcse pupil right now and have got a place in both college and 6th form for the next year. but the thing is that i'm not sure which one i should choose. i'm doing physics, chem, bio and maths. any advice would be great. thanks :confused:

ReputationRep:
    whichever is best for u.

my 6th form and probly most 6th forms are generally smaller. college is bigger and ur probly gonna have to be more independent and fend for urself more.

it just depends on which one u find better.

ReputationRep:
    well in college you are given less help and you have to do mroe independeant learning but at sixthform you have a teacher who will teach you even if you try to resist, at the end of the day it comes down to the individual, do whatever you think is best man and you will be fine
    good luck wid your exams

ReputationRep:
    My answer: college. Schools with a sixth form try to be more relaxed about things when you get into the sixth form, but at the end of the day, they're still schools. They have a school atmosphere and the staff have a school mentality. They can't think of you as "young adults", only older pupils. If you've ever felt stifled at school, college will come as a welcome relief. If you're planning to go to university, college is a much better stepping stone as the level of independent study required is between that of school and university. I'm sure many people will have reasons why a sixth form at school is preferable for them, but if you have a choice and you're not sure I wouldn't hesitate to recommend college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Shrestha)
    hey guys i'm a gcse pupil right now and have got a place in both college and 6th form for the next year. but the thing is that i'm not sure which one i should choose. i'm doing physics, chem, bio and maths. any advice would be great. thanks :confused:
    Chances are that if you have worked hard at your School at GCSE that your teachers for A Level if you were to stay on a 6th Form know you by name, and probably know a few things about you, simply because of the more personal nature of School/6th Form.

At a 6th Form College you are likely to be just another name in a crowd of people where you are expected to be more independant with your studies, and should expect less assistance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Shrestha)
    Go to the one with the best educational rep and will give you the best A-Level results, however also make sure you'll being going with people you get on with. However either way you'll make loads of new friends If your really unsure leave it til you get your results in August to truely decide.

ReputationRep:
    I had the choice of staying at school or going to college and eventually I decided to stay at school, mainly for these reasons:
    - general familiarity
    - all my friends were their
    - the teachers knew me, and they knew my strengths and stuff
    - I am one of those very unmotivated people who, if left to their own devices, would probably end up failing

ReputationRep:
    Our school had no 6th form so i had no choice, but i go a to sixth form college, like a big standalone sixth form, its really good, cos you have more freedom than school but it is much better academically than just a college of further education, + we get loads more resources than a normal 6th form does cos its bigger

(Original post by Cloudy)
    Go to the one with the best educational rep and will give you the best A-Level results, however also make sure you'll being going with people you get on with. However either way you'll make loads of new friends If your really unsure leave it til you get your results in August to truely decide.
    I think that's good advice. People often underestimate the importance of teaching in getting good grades. Personally, if the teachers in the subjects you want to do at your school are good, then I wouldn't risk changing them.

ReputationRep:
    Sixth form was good for me as it keeps me motivated, I am an incredibly lazy person so if I went to college I would most definately fail. Sixth forms like school really, they threaten to kick you out if you do rubbish in your exams, phone your mum and dad up if you don't bring coursework in etc.
    The only problem is you don't really feel all that independent as your mates who go to college do, although teachers are more relaxed with you than in year 11.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.