Help Request: OCR Classics: Ancient History - H042, H442

Watch
JJL10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi Student Room people,
Only just signed up so not entirely sure what I'm doing but I'm hoping someone can help

I'm thinking of trying to self-teach myself the AS Classics: Ancient History ( H042, H442) from the OCR exam board,

However looking around online I couldn't find any sort of course book or even a revision guide,

Can anyone advise if there is one in existence or how else I can find the information to teach myself it?

Thanks in Advance
JJL10
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
JJL10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by TSR Learn Together)
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Not really what I'm looking for,
I'm after specific course content and help rather than trawling through pages of random revision material
ancienthistory
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am in a similar position here...

My class is studying the two topics of:
-Cicero and political life in late Republican Rome
-The Athenian Democracy (something like that)

I'm just struggling entirely; there seems not to be any revision books to aide me and it feels as if I am lost in this desert of corruption and memorizing source quotes. Furthermore, to add dramatic effect to this little sob story, my mock for Rome is on next Tuesday!

Does anyone have guides on how to approach these questions? I'm aware that the 45 marks require themes, but then I find it impossible to deduce any.
Am I supposed to use my own knowledge of the time, or is it irrelevant unless I have source quotes?

Thank you to all who reads

I should have taken something like drama.
yazdro
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JJL10)
Hi Student Room people,
Only just signed up so not entirely sure what I'm doing but I'm hoping someone can help

I'm thinking of trying to self-teach myself the AS Classics: Ancient History ( H042, H442) from the OCR exam board,

However looking around online I couldn't find any sort of course book or even a revision guide,

Can anyone advise if there is one in existence or how else I can find the information to teach myself it?

Thanks in Advance
JJL10
Hi, I'm studying that exact course and taking Society and Politics of Ancient Spart and Cicero and the Late Roman Republic. I am really enjoying it although I don't think I could self-tech it to myself, it's hard to find the right course material on line as all the sources come from different sections of different books which in turn could be expensive if you ended up buying the whole text for a tiny section. My teacher has copied all the relevant sources and made booklets for us and have also done that for notes. One thing I can recommend is the JACT notes. Our teacher printed those for us (I believe they are online I don't know whether they cost or not?) and those give you an overview of the whole topic? That could be useful? Sorry I can't help too much
JJL10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Yeah I found the jact notes,
When you say your teacher has copied all the relevant sources what do you mean?
yazdro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JJL10)
Yeah I found the jact notes,
When you say your teacher has copied all the relevant sources what do you mean?
All the sources that are allocated for the course (like little sections from larger texts) our teacher has photocopied from his own books for us so we just have the required ones and don't need to have bought the whole of the histories for a small section. If that makes sense?
JJL10
Rep:
?
(Original post by yazdro)
All the sources that are allocated for the course (like little sections from larger texts) our teacher has photocopied from his own books for us so we just have the required ones and don't need to have bought the whole of the histories for a small section. If that makes sense?
How does your teacher know what little sections will be in the paper????

and is there anyway you could photograph or some how send me those extracts if I messaged you my email address?
Sounds really useful, as the sources are definitely my weakest point given the fact I'm self-teaching whilst doing my A2's
yazdro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JJL10)
How does your teacher know what little sections will be in the paper????

and is there anyway you could photograph or some how send me those extracts if I messaged you my email address?
Sounds really useful, as the sources are definitely my weakest point given the fact I'm self-teaching whilst doing my A2's
On the OCR webpage under the specification for Classics:Ancient History it tells you the required sources for each topic. I would happily photograph and send you photos of mine although be aware there is a lot! I'm doing Ancient Spartan Politics and Cicero and Late Roman Republic and only have sources for those though, so it would depend which topics you are self-teaching. Also some of my sources will be highlighted/annotated but that shouldn't be a problem.
JJL10
Rep:
?
(Original post by yazdro)
On the OCR webpage under the specification for Classics:Ancient History it tells you the required sources for each topic. I would happily photograph and send you photos of mine although be aware there is a lot! I'm doing Ancient Spartan Politics and Cicero and Late Roman Republic and only have sources for those though, so it would depend which topics you are self-teaching. Also some of my sources will be highlighted/annotated but that shouldn't be a problem.
I'll P.M you my email,
Could I just have the stuff relevant to Sparta,

ANd I wasn't aware the OCR website went into much detail, from my recollection at least,
But as it is my main problem atm even if there's loads to trawl through it would help
nikosierra125
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ancienthistory)
I am in a similar position here...

My class is studying the two topics of:
-Cicero and political life in late Republican Rome
-The Athenian Democracy (something like that)

I'm just struggling entirely; there seems not to be any revision books to aide me and it feels as if I am lost in this desert of corruption and memorizing source quotes. Furthermore, to add dramatic effect to this little sob story, my mock for Rome is on next Tuesday!

Does anyone have guides on how to approach these questions? I'm aware that the 45 marks require themes, but then I find it impossible to deduce any.
Am I supposed to use my own knowledge of the time, or is it irrelevant unless I have source quotes?

Thank you to all who reads

I should have taken something like drama.
Hi could I please ask where you are studying this? I am looking for places to study but all the ones I have found only offer other units which I don't want to study, you are literally doing the same ones I want.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads