Don't understand any of these policies! Sustainability - please help!!! Watch

Maya331
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I understand the opening in the textbook, it says:

Developed countries continue to demand resources for their populations in increasing amounts while less developed countries are supplying resources that make the developed countries more affluent.

Fair enough! Not easy to read but it's understandable. But then there are "supra-national policies" - supporters of sustainability feel these policies should come into force:

I've put the bits I really don't know in bold - whenever I google these it comes with even more complicated language I don't understand.

The most important part is giving our opinions on each policy - haven't got any opinions because I don't understand anyof it!

"Supra-national Policies"

• States should support an open economic system

• Trade policies should not involve arbitrary or unjustifiable discrimination

• The environmental and natural resources of people under oppression, domination and occupation should be protected
  • Unilateral actions to address issues should give way to international consensus

• National authorities should endeavour to promote the internationalisation of environmental costs (taking into account that the polluter should pay)

All help is appreciated!
Lee17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Open Economic System - Much like free trade. Developing countries sometimes face high trade tariffs if they want to trade with affluent European countries. This prevents them from exporting their goods to more markets, decreasing the possible money they take from exports decreasing their development. While on the other side, affluent nations trade internally with each other with little to no trade tariffs, while also trading with the developing nations they exclude from trading their stuff to them.

Trade Polices - Can easily be googled, just the polices which countries or trading blocs make to put regulations, controls etc on trading internally and externally.

International consensus - Actions to address trade discrimination, should be accepted by the world (or at least the UN) and should be implemented in all nations.

Internationalisation of environmental costs - Basically what it says, the polluters should pay the damages and should be the ones to have the controls placed on how much more they can develop and pollute, while developing nations should be allowed to develop while still polluting, as developing regions account 'currently' for a smaller percentage of the entire world pollution than developed nations (e.g. America, China, Australia)

Hope I helped abit.
Maya331
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Lee17)
Open Economic System - Much like free trade. Developing countries sometimes face high trade tariffs if they want to trade with affluent European countries. This prevents them from exporting their goods to more markets, decreasing the possible money they take from exports decreasing their development. While on the other side, affluent nations trade internally with each other with little to no trade tariffs, while also trading with the developing nations they exclude from trading their stuff to them.

Trade Polices - Can easily be googled, just the polices which countries or trading blocs make to put regulations, controls etc on trading internally and externally.

International consensus - Actions to address trade discrimination, should be accepted by the world (or at least the UN) and should be implemented in all nations.

Internationalisation of environmental costs - Basically what it says, the polluters should pay the damages and should be the ones to have the controls placed on how much more they can develop and pollute, while developing nations should be allowed to develop while still polluting, as developing regions account 'currently' for a smaller percentage of the entire world pollution than developed nations (e.g. America, China, Australia)

Hope I helped abit.
You helped A LOT! I'm becoming a lot more used to those kind of phrases now
kickass112
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone doing AS geography with OCR

I cant find a revision guide by CGP for this spec

its really annoying and I cant understand why they dont make one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (42)
13.59%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (26)
8.41%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (62)
20.06%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (44)
14.24%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (37)
11.97%
How can I be the best version of myself? (98)
31.72%

Watched Threads