Parking ticket from Aldi

Watch
*Incognito
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
ARGH. I got a parking ticket from my local Aldi store.
I exceeded the time limit by 28 minutes.
I lost track of time in town and boom, slapped with a £70 fine, reduced to £40 if payed within a certain number of days.

However, I was speaking to a friend who told me that because they're a private company their not allowed to fine you or something? I didn't quite understand what she was saying l, which is why I'm here now. Does anyone know about this? Because of its true then I won't bother paying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
rmhumphries
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The 'fine' is actually an invoice, enforceable under contract law (not criminal law). They have to take you to court to get any money from you, which often they won't bother doing.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rmhumphries)
The 'fine' is actually an invoice, enforceable under contract law (not criminal law). They have to take you to court to get any money from you, which often they won't bother doing.
No such contract exists.
The best they can do is claim for loss of earnings, which, on a free to use carpark will be quite difficult to prove...
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sometimes these car parks are council owned which you do have to pay so check first before you ignore it.
Samelam
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3211572

I can't remember how to link this bit I've heard a lot about people getting fined from overstaying in Aldi's car park. The general consensus is to ignore all letters but give it a read.

OT slightly but how can you spend 70 minutes in Aldi?! I can do a 2 week shop in about 30 minutes!
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Samelam)
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3211572

I can't remember how to link this bit I've heard a lot about people getting fined from overstaying in Aldi's car park. The general consensus is to ignore all letters but give it a read.

OT slightly but how can you spend 70 minutes in Aldi?! I can do a 2 week shop in about 30 minutes!
I guess he was using aldi as a town centre free car park and trying to hit all the other shops as well, afaict a lot of people do in places where the council car parks have gone pay & display.
*Incognito
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Yeah, just to clarify, I wasn't actually using the Aldi store. I was having lunch in town with a friend.
I wasn't actually aware that there was even a parking time limit.

Also, the company who issued the ticket are called Parking Eye, if that makes any difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MrWhosane
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol I've just received one from my local Aldi from ParkingEye, only 5 days ago.

19 minutes over the free 2 hours. Just ignore it, I've had a few from them.

Complete rubbish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advisor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by *Incognito)
Also, the company who issued the ticket are called Parking Eye, if that makes any difference.
Don't get too cocky with Parking Eye; they're well known for taking people who ignore their letters to court.

You should mount a defence before this goes too far, starting with a POPLA appeal (details are on your letter). To construct your defence properly, take advice from here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4816822

Also, pepipoo.com may be able to help.
Walkaah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ignore ftw
spyka
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do NOT ignore it. Parking Eye WILL take you to court.

Do a bit of research and appeal it to POPLA. Key phrase to use is that the amount is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss. More info here: http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/ or http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=60
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Baby Milo)
You clearly stayed in the car park a Lidl bit too long.
and? :rolleyes:
omarion526
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
there's a hundred reasons why you can ignore the ticket to good success. They will send debt collector's letters which you can usually also ignore to good effect.

However. it gets sticky when they clamp you the next time you go into a Lidl, after writing you to say that they will do so as many of these operators do, holding your car ransom for a release fee + whatever charges they've added etc... depends on whether you plan on going back really..
username239687
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anybody that pays these is an idiot or hasn't spent 30 seconds researching it. And it's illegal to clamp a vehicle that doesn't belong to you, even on private land.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.2%
I'm not sure (59)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (380)
29.32%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.85%
I'm not a current university student (636)
49.07%

Watched Threads