Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Inspired by something Iluvatar just said...

Have you ever considered writing a book? What would it be about? Has anyone actually managed it? Or do you have loads of ideas and never get around to writing them down?

I've tried it seriously, twice, but came to a halt when I couldn't think where the story was going.

ReputationRep:
    I've thought, and realised I wasn't capable because of a lack of imagination with the English language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)

Have you ever considered writing a book? What would it be about? Has anyone actually managed it? Or do you have loads of ideas and never get around to writing them down?

I've tried it seriously, twice, but came to a halt when I couldn't think where the story was going.
    yeah but probably wont be a fiction /

whats your books about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    I've thought, and realised I wasn't capable because of a lack of imagination with the English language
    what about doin it in a different language ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm your inspiration
    I dont think i've inspired anyone before.

And my answer is yes, but i never had time to do it because of vain attempts at revision.
    I've got a couple of short stories written, but never anything that would be a good book (or even a good short story actually )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    yeah but probably wont be a fiction /

whats your books about?
    Er, one of them was about a bunch of students (first rule of fiction: write what you know), and the other was about an old bloke with Alzheimer's. I thought that one had a great premise, but I got bored of it. Might carry on with it one day.

So what non-fiction stuff would you write about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    what about doin it in a different language ?
    :eek: I'm definately not capable of doing that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, when I was in year 9 we were set a project to write the first chapter of a dystopian novel (we were reading 1984 at the time). I really got into mine, and the teacher said I should continue it, so I did - I finished the story over the Easter holidays; it wasn't a full-length novel or anything, but I'd guess at about 18000 words or something. At the time it was my piece de resistancec, but looking at it now it was a thinly veiled allegory of everything I wished would happen with the boy I was in love with at the time (only without us both burning to death at the end )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    I'm your inspiration
    I dont think i've inspired anyone before.

And my answer is yes, but i never had time to do it because of vain attempts at revision.
    I've got a couple of short stories written, but never anything that would be a good book (or even a good short story actually )
    Have you ever given them to anyone else to read? What did they think?

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever given them to anyone else to read? What did they think?
    Well the first one was for my GCSE english coursework. It took me about half an hour, and i managed an A for it, so it couldn't have been too bad, but i've never liked what i've written to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of writing a book but I haven't ever started it. It was just an idea and there wasn't any plot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Well the first one was for my GCSE english coursework. It took me about half an hour, and i managed an A for it, so it couldn't have been too bad, but i've never liked what i've written to be honest.
    If you enjoy it, you should do it just for fun and you'll improve. I know what you mean though - I usually get really excited about something new I'm writing, and then I'll leave it for a while. When I read it again, I hate it. I think it's because everything sounds like a cliche to me, because it's been rattling around my own brain for so long before I've written it down. Ah well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piggysqueak)
    I was thinking of writing a book but I haven't ever started it. It was just an idea and there wasn't any plot.
    Sounds like mine.

ReputationRep:

I have a collection of short stories I've written, Macmillan offered to publish one collection last year...it was very complicated, but I'm scarred for life, and I'll never publish until I'm old and have nothing to do with my time. Plus it'll be better material so I won't ever have to go near them again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I have a collection of short stories I've written, Macmillan offered to publish one collection last year...it was very complicated, but I'm scarred for life, and I'll never publish until I'm old and have nothing to do with my time. Plus it'll be better material so I won't ever have to go near them again
    What happened?

ReputationRep:

Am invovled in a Molecular Biology text - rock and roll huh!

I guess you're talking more novels though.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Am invovled in a Molecular Biology text - rock and roll huh!

I guess you're talking more novels though.....
    If you wanna write about Molecular Biology, go ahead. I'm sure it will be fascinating.

What happens at the end?

ReputationRep:
    If you wanna write about Molecular Biology, go ahead. I'm sure it will be fascinating.

What happens at the end?
    ...well I guess the destruction of mankind!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    ...well I guess the destruction of mankind!!!
    Cool. Sounds better than mine - I might nick your plot.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but it's so hard to find the dedication and motivation to keep writing. I managed to write the first chapter of what was set to be an epic trilogy.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.