Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    In a new reply to this, i've tried to start writing again.
    I finished all my coursework, and so in some of the time i should be revising, i'm writing now instead.
    Its going to be a sort of tragic love fantasy, although not fantasy as in far out sci-fi, just a little different to how you'd expect.
    I've almost got to a good stop point in the story (rather than chapters, which i hate, i try to write to a point in the story where stopping makes sense, and read through it, before i write the next bit).
    Cool! I always find that talking about it makes me want to wite again. Or reading "On Writing " by Stephen King. It's really inspiring, even if you don't want to follow his technical advice.

So how much have you written so far? And are you going to fit in some revision too?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    Cool! I always find that talking about it makes me want to wite again. Or reading "On Writing " by Stephen King. It's really inspiring, even if you don't want to follow his technical advice.

So how much have you written so far? And are you going to fit in some revision too?!
    Yeah, me too sort of. I forget about things, and its like "Wow, i liked doing that. Why did i stop?".
    But i always try to do too much at once, as i've also started playing C&C generals and Jade Cocoon 2, as well as revising, so i'm going to have to stop doing something.
    And the revision is most likely to go!

I've written about 10 pages, A4, although most of that is setting out the story.
    I've got half a plan in my head, but its not complete really, or down on paper.

I hope i'll revise, but i did practically nothing at AS level and i did well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UndiscoverdSelf)
    you'll have to set up your own printing press...
    Or look for a better publisher? I did have some interest from someone at HarperCollins but unfortunately I chose Macmillan over them When and if, I submit any work next time I'll go to the lovely people there

ReputationRep:
    I have thought about it. I am good at detail and action scenes, with good descriptive language and well thought out situations. However, I tend to get bored with concepts and can't maintain characterisation. May try some short stories first.

Also my spelling sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pal_sch)
    Also my spelling sucks.
    Spell check is there for a reason I despise proof reading but it's worse when someone else does it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    Spell check is there for a reason I despise proof reading but it's worse when someone else does it!
    I managed to break my spell check at home, and now can't use the English UK setting, so have to read over it for americanised spelling errors.
    Dont ask me how I did it, but I need to reinstall a whole office suit to fix it.

ReputationRep:
    Or look for a better publisher? I did have some interest from someone at HarperCollins but unfortunately I chose Macmillan over them When and if, I submit any work next time I'll go to the lovely people there
    No matter which publisher you go for, someone is always going to edit your work. Perhaps not as much as the people as Macmillan, but they will edit it nonetheless. You will have to get used to the idea if you want to get published!

ReputationRep:
    No matter which publisher you go for, someone is always going to edit your work. Perhaps not as much as the people as Macmillan, but they will edit it nonetheless. You will have to get used to the idea if you want to get published!
    One idea is to hire a private editor so you can have some input into the editing process. They will also be able to tell you what may get re-edited when it is sent to the publishers. That way you can have more control over the final product. You need someone with experience though.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. But Macmillan gave me hardly any choice, in fact they wouldn't even comprimise, and what choices they gave me could hardly constitute a 'choice'. I wanted to maintain some control over my work but I wasn't getting the chance to assert my rights, hence I dropped them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pal_sch)
    One idea is to hire a private editor so you can have some input into the editing process. They will also be able to tell you what may get re-edited when it is sent to the publishers. That way you can have more control over the final product. You need someone with experience though.
    If your editor works in-house for a publisher, you will still have lots of input (or at least, you should have). That's what editors are for - they're supposed to edit the book based on feedback and plenty of discussion from the author. They shouldn't tell you what to do, and the author will have the final say over the changes. It sounds like the people at Macmillan thought they could push young authors around more than they usually would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Man I'd like to see that...
    i dnt think thats possible, i mean i wouldnt like you to steal my story line and then go to a movie and director, become famous, and your chillin, i mean, i think its that good, but i want to know where i can show it and wether it'll be successful or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maximusmak)
    i dnt think thats possible, i mean i wouldnt like you to steal my story line and then go to a movie and director, become famous, and your chillin, i mean, i think its that good, but i want to know where i can show it and wether it'll be successful or not.
    Fine then, don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maximusmak)
    So it's a masterpiece? I look forward to being compelled to buy it from my local bookshop soon

ReputationRep:
    Inspired by something Iluvatar just said...

Have you ever considered writing a book? What would it be about? Has anyone actually managed it? Or do you have loads of ideas and never get around to writing them down?

I've tried it seriously, twice, but came to a halt when I couldn't think where the story was going.
    I wrote a short story 4 english corsework and it got published

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Fine then, don't.
    sorry mate, i wont

ReputationRep:
    So it's a masterpiece? I look forward to being compelled to buy it from my local bookshop soon
    thats if its published in the normal book shop, this is going to be a mater piece like you said, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i have thought about it, but not actually tried. I like the Tom Clancy type books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tonka)
    I wrote a short story 4 english corsework and it got published
    Who published it?

ReputationRep:
    I have a very good idea for a book and I will put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard) this Summer.

ReputationRep:
    Who published it?
    it got publish by kicking leaves

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.