The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Rakas21
We are getting a Trambus thing in the next few years.

I think there's a handful of buses during the night.

I live in Leeds now and have lived in West Yorkshire since i was 2 so i love Leeds however while i would certainly live and work in either city, Manchester narrowly gets it due to the size and bigger city appeal. There's not much one has that the other does not though.

Personally i've never thought as people as snobby here, infact i think we are commoners. Interesting.

*This assumes that we are wanting to live in the city center, Manchester's larger size weakens its case in the suburbs because there are even more chav's and the like while Leeds gets very nice in the suburbs to the western side of the city, very quickly, while away from the north east (Seacroft ect..) and to a lesser degree Beeston it's bad.

Compared to Manchester in my experience Leeds just feels up it's own arse at times and pretentious. Everyone knows everyone and it's very cliquey. It just at times feels like a city without an identity (city centre anyway) It feels like most people in Leeds aren't even from Leeds at times. It feels as though it's full of Southerners. Obviously that excludes places like Beeston and Seacroft, though I've never a reason to go to these places. I've been to Harehills though. Isn't as bad as everyone makes out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Manchester for me and I've lived in both.
Where did you go for eventually? :smile:
Reply 23
Spent time in both and although I really liked Leeds as a city I bloody love Manchester!
Good idea 👍🏼 they're my two top choices for universities and they're both great cities so I can't decide :frown:
Manchester is better placed for getting to other places. Can easily get to leeds and Liverpool and even London with a fast direct route with good virgin trains. I'd go or it for that reason alone.

Although I'm kind of biased as the Peak District is like a rock climbing mecca so I like being near that as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I'd rather jump off a cliff than live in Manchester.

And Leeds is in Yorkshire. :lovedup:

I know which one I'd pick! :mmm:

Pretty much this, having been there about twenty times I think Manchester is overrated, over hyped and about 80% **** outside of the city centre. I'd pick Liverpool before it also.
I grew up in Manchester and I go to University in Leeds.

I would have to say Manchester is better overall.
When people say "Manchester" they usually refer to Greater Manchester. This is an unfair comparison, an fair comparison would be Greater Manchester vs Yorkshire or Manchester city vs Leeds.

Yorkshire > Greater Manchester
Leeds > Manchester City
Original post by epoddoulc
When people say "Manchester" they usually refer to Greater Manchester. This is an unfair comparison, an fair comparison would be Greater Manchester vs Yorkshire or Manchester city vs Leeds.

Yorkshire > Greater Manchester
Leeds > Manchester City

I've tried to explain this so many times to people on here. The media do this a lot as well (especially the GM based BBC) to attempt to skew comparisons with any other regional city in the favour of Manchester.

Compare like for like - a city to a city or a conurbation to a conurbation or **** off.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I've tried to explain this so many times to people on here. The media do this a lot as well (especially the GM based BBC) to attempt to skew comparisons with any other regional city in the favour of Manchester.

Compare like for like - a city to a city or a conurbation to a conurbation or **** off.

Agreed, it gives me a headache when people compare a city to a COUNTY :s-smilie:
Try the white ones at Dover. I'm sure that will cure your :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:yness
One soon discovers it isn't until you visit another city do you then realise Manchester really is a complete ****-hole! Being 100% mancunian myself i'd have to say Yorkshire is a much finer county, the fish chips are without doubt the best i have ever tasted (never found a bad one yet, relying on my sense of smell for the distinctive old school beef dripping aroma)For century's it's the traditional market that makes a true city which is one thing Manchester no longer has unlike Leeds. Stepping off the train in Piccadilly you are pestered for money by both scum, druggies, dead-legs and tramps. Piccadilly Gardens is a truly foul place where you can freely buy drugs, don't be tempted to cut through any of Manchester's back streets either, it's here where the overwhelming smell human faeces hits you left by tramps/taxi drivers etc. Can't understand why so many overpriced tacky pre-fab properties are being cheaply thrown up in the City, it does nothing to hide the fact that it's a ****ing **** tip! It's apparently obvious the windows on the town hall have never been washed in 30 years...take a look. Leeds ticks all the boxes, don't seam to notice as many beggars on the streets although, i once said that about York which also happens to be a much finer City than Manchester. At this present moment you only have to visit an affluent city like York and you notice there are rather a few empty properties within the centre, thus suggesting both unemployment and yet another recession are just seconds from reigniting.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thread is 4 years old - closed :smile:

Latest