The Student Room Group

Of mice and men controlled assessment

Hello
(edited 8 years ago)
Use quotes, that usually helps boost grades up :smile: and give like your personal opinions in terms of what's described of the character. Such as to do with crooks back can be to do with the racism he faces :smile:
Unfairness and InEquality, well it depends how much you need to go in depth and word length. I would find this an easy topic as we have thoroughlt researched it already. You can't do much to get from a B to an A, but just write better. Explore better and go in more depth.
You have 4 less than good characters: Candy, Crooks, Lennie and Curleys. Use quotes about them and the best quotes would be on Scene 4 where they are all in Crooks room. They in turn fight and argue and key points about weaknesses are brought up there.

If you want more help PM, I will be happy to send some of my own notes :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I would ask your teacher for the mark scheme - mine always shows us our exam board's one so we know what they expect. You get high marks for having strong points backed up with good quotations and making perceptive points that explore alternative ideas (e.g Curley's Wife is meant to represent the snake/apple from The Garden of Eden as she tempts the men on the ranch). I would research themes/ideas connected to Crooks online and other information about him that relates to essay question. Also, Crooks is used to represent quite a bit of the context of the time and explores the theme of discrimination. If the mark scheme mentions context then you can write in depth about that.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by laurenpeart
Hello, I am really worried about my controlled assessment that i have soon. It is the Of mice and men extended reading assessment. My teacher has told me my class will be focusing on the character Crooks, in my past 3 controlled assessments I have received a high grade B, I really want to receive a grade A. What can I do to push for a grade A?

Ahh I did my controlled assessment of this exact character

Use the Internet to search for good points based on the character. There is lots of imagery for his room describing how things have been broken, use this to describe how he is and feels weak. The leap between an A and an A * is dependent on how sophisticated your points are try to use simplistic points and expand on them by saying 'an alternative representation is', also don't use, ' I think that' it sounds unsure and you're already setting yourself up on the examiner doubting you. Focus on what Steinbeck does and what the audience responses of this is. Here are some points to help you-

ONLY CROOKS HAS HIS OWN ROOM--
- Crook's room is small, basic and functional. But it is homely and full of his possessions.
-From his possessions (rubber boots, an alarm clock and a shotgun) we can tell he is practical and active. His books show that he reads and thinks, suggesting he has wisdom, and disproving racist stereotypes. It shows Crooks is a fully developed character with a personality and a background.
- People who enter his room receive a frosty reception. Privacy is one of the few rights he has.

CROOKS IS A VICTIM OF RACISM

-Crooks is the only black person in the book or on the ranch. He is excluded from the bunk house and the other workers say he smells. He's lonely and he misses the company of others- he says " A guy needs somebody- to be near him.'
- His loneliness makes him bitter and seems jealous of Lennie and George's relationship. In chapter 4 he tries to make Lennie feel as lonely by suggesting George may leave him.

THEMES

-PREJUDICE- Steinbeck is showing an accurate representation of how black people
were treated in America is 1920/1930's.

-LONLINESS- Crooks hides his lonliness by being proud and aloof. He tries to show the other on the ranch that it doesn't affect him, but Steinbeck shows the reader it in fact does.
Reply 5
Thank you all so much!! it really has helped me:smile:
Reply 6
If your teacher gives you an A or above, ask another teacher to check it, cos I did literature last year and my teacher said I got an A in the asessment. Turns out I got a C in it and she taught us how to do the exam wrong. Predicted an A but got a C, I HATE HER! :mad:
Reply 7
Original post by Foxybo
If your teacher gives you an A or above, ask another teacher to check it, cos I did literature last year and my teacher said I got an A in the asessment. Turns out I got a C in it and she taught us how to do the exam wrong. Predicted an A but got a C, I HATE HER! :mad:

I am sorry to hear that! At my school we have 2+ teachers mark it anyway to make sure we get the correct grade:smile:
Reply 8
So, I have this tomorrow, any last advice?
Reply 9
Hey i reallly need help in my controlled assessment i have a month to do it and i was hoing u could help me i really need to get kt done by the end of this month so i would be grateful if u could help and vet back to me as soon as possibe. Thanks
Original post by The_Philosopher
Ahh I did my controlled assessment of this exact character

Use the Internet to search for good points based on the character. There is lots of imagery for his room describing how things have been broken, use this to describe how he is and feels weak. The leap between an A and an A * is dependent on how sophisticated your points are try to use simplistic points and expand on them by saying 'an alternative representation is', also don't use, ' I think that' it sounds unsure and you're already setting yourself up on the examiner doubting you. Focus on what Steinbeck does and what the audience responses of this is. Here are some points to help you-

ONLY CROOKS HAS HIS OWN ROOM--
- Crook's room is small, basic and functional. But it is homely and full of his possessions.
-From his possessions (rubber boots, an alarm clock and a shotgun) we can tell he is practical and active. His books show that he reads and thinks, suggesting he has wisdom, and disproving racist stereotypes. It shows Crooks is a fully developed character with a personality and a background.
- People who enter his room receive a frosty reception. Privacy is one of the few rights he has.

CROOKS IS A VICTIM OF RACISM

-Crooks is the only black person in the book or on the ranch. He is excluded from the bunk house and the other workers say he smells. He's lonely and he misses the company of others- he says " A guy needs somebody- to be near him.'
- His loneliness makes him bitter and seems jealous of Lennie and George's relationship. In chapter 4 he tries to make Lennie feel as lonely by suggesting George may leave him.

THEMES

-PREJUDICE- Steinbeck is showing an accurate representation of how black people
were treated in America is 1920/1930's.

-LONLINESS- Crooks hides his lonliness by being proud and aloof. He tries to show the other on the ranch that it doesn't affect him, but Steinbeck shows the reader it in fact does.

Quick Reply

Latest