Do bad AS grades reduce chances greatly?

Watch this thread
rhizo123
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I am applying for a Computer Science degree at some top 30 universities, and have a predicted D*D*D* in an IT BTEC. I'm doing additional maths modules and all that jazz, that the top uni's specifically asked for.

However, I didn't know you had to put down ALL your qualifications until now. Would putting e/d grade AS levels in maths, and other science subjects put me at a big disadvantage when applying to these top universities?

thanks,
Safiya122
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
No not really like they do help to determine your A2 grades but honestly not as much. But tbh I think they would, like when applying to these universities all they have are your AS grades and so that will decide as to whether you get an unconditional offer or not, luckily you can re-apply for these universities even if you get turned down, if you get those grades by the end of your A2 year.
Or ask your teachers to change your predicted grades?
Light_bulb
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Being honest top 10 would be very difficult to get into Comp sci without excellent grades in mathematics modules.

It would be a good idea to email the universities which you're considering to getting a better understanding of what they're looking for.
abbalarr95
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'm in a similar situation. I had U's in chemistry and Maths and E's in Physics and Biology for AS levels and I'm predicted D*DD in my BTEC Applied Science course.. The uni's are asking for DDM so my predicted grades are high enough, but would they turn me down because I did so bad in my AS levels before I took the BTEC?
insert-username
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
if course they impact your chances. what do you think the point of AS exams are?
They wont take over inflated predictions seriously. A level predictions mean very very little considering as how so many schools over inflate predicted grades for people with bad AS results. I know many people with C and B AS grades being predicted A* and people with A grades at AS being predicted B grades. AS results are the most important indicator of how well a person is likely to do in exams.

It's all well an dandy for a person to have A*A*A* predictions. but once the universities looks at the actual AS grades and see something like BCC they'll realise its just another overinflated A level prediction and strike you off the list if you dont meed minimum requirements.
abbalarr95
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by insert-username)
if course they impact your chances. what do you think the point of AS exams are?
They wont take over inflated predictions seriously. A level predictions mean very very little considering as how so many schools over inflate predicted grades for people with bad AS results. I know many people with C and B AS grades being predicted A* and people with A grades at AS being predicted B grades. AS results are the most important indicator of how well a person is likely to do in exams.

It's all well an dandy for a person to have A*A*A* predictions. but once the universities looks at the actual AS grades and see something like BCC they'll realise its just another overinflated A level prediction and strike you off the list if you dont meed minimum requirements.
If you're doing a BTEC course, AS grades don't affect your grade at all. The OP is doing a BTEC course and wants to know whether his AS grade (which won't have an impact on his final BTEC grade) would affect it the uni's decision..
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rhizo123)
So I am applying for a Computer Science degree at some top 30 universities, and have a predicted D*D*D* in an IT BTEC. I'm doing additional maths modules and all that jazz, that the top uni's specifically asked for.

However, I didn't know you had to put down ALL your qualifications until now. Would putting e/d grade AS levels in maths, and other science subjects put me at a big disadvantage when applying to these top universities?

thanks,
Is it an E grade or a D grade for maths?

Is there a reason you performed much worse at AS than in your BTEC? Could you discuss this with your referee?

As you meet the requirements for the course, then the unis will probably consider you, but getting a place will probably depend on the standard of other applicants- if they can fill the course with people who don't have poor AS grades, they probably will! They may also question your ability to achieve your D*D*D* prediction.

It might be worth discussing your specific situation with the unis you're interested in, especially if there are extenuating circumstances involved.

However, I wouldn't risk an application to 5 top unis in this situation- could you find 2 solid back up choices you would be happy to go to?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (129)
66.15%
No (44)
22.56%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.28%

Watched Threads