The Student Room Group

I've messed up my life choices.

When I was picking my A-Levels, my initial thoughts were to do Economics, English, History and Physics. I didn't pick Physics in the end, because I wasn't doing Mathematics, and I now know I should have, alongside Mathematics, as I was good at both of them. It's not as though I dislike my subjects; it's that I know that I should have followed a different path, and that I should be doing something else. I'm thinking about studying Engineering with a Foundation Year, but I don't know if I'd like it. I'm interested in Archaeology and Particle Physics, and I feel so conflicted. Any advice would be welcome. :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Would you be able to change your A-level choices now?
Original post by Safiya122
Would you be able to change your A-level choices now?

Nope. The deadline passed a while ago, and I don't know which two I would have changed anyway.
Original post by Edminzodo
Nope. The deadline passed a while ago, and I don't know which two I would have changed anyway.

Hmm..stick to them then I guess. And you can always change one or two at A2 if you're doing AS at the moment. I did that and it didn't affect my offers to university at all.
Hmm..stick to them then I guess. And you can always change one or two at A2 if you're doing AS at the moment. I did that and it didn't affect my offers to university at all.

So you did some A2s in one year?!
So you did some A2s in one year?!

No like I mean I carried on two subjects in A2 that I did at AS and then did an AS along with them
No like I mean I carried on two subjects in A2 that I did at AS and then did an AS along with them

Weren't universities bothered by that?
Weren't universities bothered by that?

Nope, predicted grades were not so bad so it was all good :smile:
Nope, predicted grades were not so bad so it was all good :smile:

Lucky you! Where are you applying? And for what course?
Lucky you! Where are you applying? And for what course?

I applied to huddersfield x2 , bradford, manchester and leeds. Got all my offers and it was like on sociology but it differed depending on the university. Any plans where you want to apply?
I applied to huddersfield x2 , bradford, manchester and leeds. Got all my offers and it was like on sociology but it differed depending on the university. Any plans where you want to apply?

If I do Combined Social Sciences or Archaeology then probably Cambridge, Exeter, Newcastle, UCL and York. For Engineering, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham and Southampton!
Ah I also regret not doing physics :frown:
I had a dream last night I was telling a Physicist I regretted doing Physics . . . :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone not sure of what they want to do should be doing two things - work experience in fields that they might choose and attending university open days and going to lectures about the subjects you might want to study. Bit late for open days this year but plan early where you want to visit next year. Visit your nearest university anyway.

If you are unhappy with your choices finish AS and then start again. Universities are not keen on people taking 3 years to do a levels in the same subjects, starting again because you made a poor choice would not be held against you - especially if you did well at AS in the ones you dropped and had good predictions in the ones you started. Universities like slightly more mature students who have thought hard about their choice of subject and restarting A levels when your friends are moving on shows dedication. It would need to be explained in your reference but it wouldnt hold you back.

You may find a 6th form college would still let you join different courses now, although you'd have to be an excellent student and perhaps have parents willing to pay for a tutor to help you catch up.

If it was just one subject I'd suggest picking it up outside school/college, doing the AS and then asking your school to carry it on at A2 instead of one of your existing subjects but two subjects would be too much.
Original post by qewrtyu
Ah I also regret not doing physics :frown:

:hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Should've changed subjects when I had the chance:angry:
Original post by qewrtyu
Should've changed subjects when I had the chance:angry:

What are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology.
I thought I'd get fed up with science if I did Maths and triple science so I ended up doing psychology. Bad decision :s-smilie:
Original post by qewrtyu
Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology.
I thought I'd get fed up with science if I did Maths and triple science so I ended up doing psychology. Bad decision :s-smilie:

What's wrong with Psychology? :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could always take an extra year and do a science access course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending