Election 2015 - No more 'business as usual' Watch

Onwards and Upwards!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Goodbye the two party battle, hello the unknown!

So, UKIP wasn't a blip, Labour has a perceived weak leader. Scotland could turn to the SNP, the Liberals are likely to be all but crushed (On the national vote, not on concentrated votes that will see them return MPs), the tories can't claim to be in as favourable position as they were in 2010, and the idea of another hung parliament is a contributing factor in peoples considerations (even though the chances of parliament being hung twice in a row is almost inconceivable in the first past the post system.)

What other contributing factors do you think there are to the general 'who knows what will happen!' culture that seems to be widespread across the political system/class.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll be convinced that ukip are a threat when they win a number of seats, rather than two with well established MPs.

Frankly I think they'll get a few MPs this election then get hammered in the following election.

Posted from TSR Mobile
a320airbus97
Badges: 3
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Onwards and Upwards!)
Goodbye the two party battle, hello the unknown!

So, UKIP wasn't a blip, Labour has a perceived weak leader. Scotland could turn to the SNP, the Liberals are likely to be all but crushed (On the national vote, not on concentrated votes that will see them return MPs), the tories can't claim to be in as favourable position as they were in 2010, and the idea of another hung parliament is a contributing factor in peoples considerations (even though the chances of parliament being hung twice in a row is almost inconceivable in the first past the post system.)

What other contributing factors do you think there are to the general 'who knows what will happen!' culture that seems to be widespread across the political system/class.
I predict a Conservative-UKIP coalition or Conservative victory in 2015. The Lib-Dems will be crushed again, as well as Labour in Scotland, as you mentioned above. I think that it will be interesting to see just what happens over the next 6 months (I predict that either Clegg or Miliband will step down in the next year).
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by a320airbus97)
I predict a Conservative-UKIP coalition or Conservative victory in 2015. The Lib-Dems will be crushed again, as well as Labour in Scotland, as you mentioned above. I think that it will be interesting to see just what happens over the next 6 months (I predict that either Clegg or Miliband will step down in the next year).
I agree with the fact that one way or another, David Cameron will be Prime Minister again. However, I can't see the Conservatives and UKIP getting enough seats between them to get a majority. My prediction is a 3 party coallition, of Conservatives/UKIP/Lib Dems, or possibly but unlikely Labour/Lib Dems/Green

Posted from TSR Mobile
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
I agree with the fact that one way or another, David Cameron will be Prime Minister again. However, I can't see the Conservatives and UKIP getting enough seats between them to get a majority. My prediction is a 3 party coallition, of Conservatives/UKIP/Lib Dems, or possibly but unlikely Labour/Lib Dems/Green

Posted from TSR Mobile
I still the Lib Dems are the king makers, as they can side with either the Tories or Labour, while Labour wouldnt deal with UKIP and the Greens wouldnt deal with the Tories
Collaborator
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I predict a Labour/ SNP coalition.
dean.stanston
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Another coalition, but Labour may get a slight plurality. Labour may join with the Lib Dems, and possibly some of the Ulster parties like the SDLP or Plaid Cymru in Wales.

Labour has never been separatist, so whilst ideologically they and the SNP are similar (both centre-left) it wouldn't make sense since Labour want the UK to remain.

If the Tories get a plurality, Cameron may bite the bullet and ask Farage to join him. UKIP will get 20 seats or so, from both Labour and the Tories.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dean.stanston)
Another coalition, but Labour may get a slight plurality. Labour may join with the Lib Dems, and possibly some of the Ulster parties like the SDLP or Plaid Cymru in Wales.

Labour has never been separatist, so whilst ideologically they and the SNP are similar (both centre-left) it wouldn't make sense since Labour want the UK to remain.

If the Tories get a plurality, Cameron may bite the bullet and ask Farage to join him. UKIP will get 20 seats or so, from both Labour and the Tories.
Whilst that is entirely possible, and quite likely, I just can't see the Tories and UKIP getting enough seats combined to get a majority.
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bit early to proclaim the rise of UKIP. They would not have won those seats if they weren't already established politicians.

I do think we'll see more coalition governments in years to come.
dean.stanston
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ande UKIP is here to stay IMHO. More people see them as a change and something new, and who cares if Conservative/Labour feel threatened at their emergence? That's all the brew-ha-ha is about IMHO...

The world/life is about change, and politics is/should no different. Whilst Thatcherism won't go away soon, it has caused too much sameness and we need UKIP to provide more energy. And we have to question as a country if EU membership is really benefitting us (as a tangent, i don't think it ever has...) Another point is that why are people so **** scared that "the times are changing!! eek!" when most of these same people about 5/10 years ago were bemoaning how similar Labour and the Tories were. lololol..... Sorry, you can't have it both ways, just accept your parties have lost their duopoly.
MrJAKEE
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think Labour will be in power next May. My reason for that is the fact that UKIP seem to be taking more votes (from polls and the by-elections) from Tory-heartlands, splitting the right wing vote allowing Labour candidates to get in. However I feel this would be a coalition between the SNP (who have expressed a desire to work with Labour following the election) and Labour. The Tories I doubt will get in with leadership if Cameron, as Farage has repeatedly said in interviews that he will never work with the Tories while Cameron is in charge (Boris perhaps?!?). Also a good contribution would be the DUP in NI and Plaid Cymru in Wales. The DUP would most likely prop up a Tory government with 8 seats (little but might make a difference with slim majorities) and Plaid might take some Labour seats in Wales furthering a nationalist- Labour coalition. The Liberals although heading towards electoral wipeout will still have some sort of say over who gets in power next year.
Either way I must say the Tories or Labour getting an outright win is practically impossible. This year is really going to get interesting and historical - tiny parties are about to have great influence on the agenda!

Posted from TSR Mobile
MrJAKEE
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think my point is supplemented by the fact that the reason why many aren't voting Labour is due to Milibland. As soon as he goes more seats will be up for grabs for Labour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Swanbow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Electoral system is still against UKIP. They'll be lucky to get more than 10 MPs at the next election.

Labour are suffering at the moment, This close to an election all the flak should be going towards the Tories and Lib Dems who have had a pretty mixed term in government. But the media seem obsessed with making a fool of Miliband. The public are limp towards him. And talks of, but no direct action, in regards to a leadership coup are not helpful and playing into the hands of the Tories. Then there is the whole 'england-flag-gate', which is the last thing Labour needs. The party are terrified of UKIP, and issuing loads of UKIP-eque rhetoric which despite its best intentions isn't working and comes across as contrived.

Next Parliament most likely have a slim Labour majority. If it is hung I can see a Labour-SNP-Plaid and possibly Lib Dem coalition. Very much doubt UKIP will play a part in the next government, unless the Tories manage a swing and can't make enough seats for a workable majority.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads